LoRaP2P: Which SF and TX power should ı use?

Hello guys, ı am trying to use P2P mode and increase the range by that. My case is ; we have end nodes made with rak3172 and they are inside the metal boxes. When ı use LoRaWAN Mode in default, devices can send data to Gateway, but with P2P mode, they can’t. I don’t know how to fix this but that is the AT command that i use “AT+P2P=868000000:12:125:0:8:22”. With 12 Spreading factor and 22 dBm. I live in turkey.

Did ı do something wrong?

Hi @tortudereli

Not sure, but I think you are mixing up things here.

LoRa P2P is to communicate between two or multiple nodes, there is no protocol involved unless you implement one and the data is send unencrypted, unless you add encryption. In addition there is no node addressing, unless you implement it.

LoRaWAN is a communication protocol that covers data encryption, node addressing and many other things.

A LoRaWAN gateway might receive LoRa P2P packets, but it will disregard it because the packets are not in the correct format.

Thank you @beegee . Can you tell me, is there any source for rak3172 p2p mode? Like “RAK3172 LOW LEVEL DEVELOPMENT SDK”? is there any sdk?

Hi @tortudereli ,

I created the RAK3172 Low Level Development Guide so I’ll share some thoughts.

Same on how it is created you can have a look on the SubGhz example of the STM32WL LoRaWAN Middleware. As you see, both LoRaWAN and SubGhz_Phy are available.

You can think of this as the bare SX1262 Semtech chip. So you can choose the modulation you want either LoRa or FSK. You can do this by utilizing the SubGHz HAL driver.

How to build a LoRa® application with STM32CubeWL - Application note

I haven’t tried this myself though but you can start on the SubGhz project then manual replace the radio files same on the RAK3172 Low Level Development guide.

Another option you have is using the RUI3. This is a lot easier to do than the STM32CubeWL approach. You can check the Arduino inspired P2P API in the RUI3 documentation.

Thank you so much. That could help me