Arduino on Rak5010!

Hi Nero.
I tried the procedure but aborted in the final step of flashing using DFU, because the confirmation popup asked for a *.dat file when trying to upload a hex file.

Let me try to clarify the situation.

I DO NOT have a Jlink programmer.

The rak5010 board is new, so it has the original .hex.

I want to burn the feather express bootloader as first step so in next steps I can program using serial port directly from Arduino IDE. (Is this correct?)

Sorry for the inconveniences. Not english speaker, and I donā€™t want to do something irreversible.
Can you (or anyone) detail how to?

Regards.
Ramiro

Hi,
The original hex is suitable for RUI. RUI is different from Arduino. Means you canā€™t OTA other bootloader or application to the board. Because it is cryptographic during OTA. One bootloader corresponding one application and one DFU zip. If you want to use other bootloader, you must use a programmer like Jlink or DAP-link. Or you can use our RUI compile system. It will supply the DFU zip, HEX. Our firmware canā€™t guarantee non-RUI hex or DFU.

So without jlink is imposible to burn arduino bootloader?

Right. DAP link works too.

OK. Any suggestion or steps to follow to use DAP link?
I really need to start programming in Arduino the nRF.
Thank you again @nero

For now, our DAP-LINK is not in store. The Jlink is best. Details as below:
https://doc.rakwireless.com/rak5010-wistrio-nb-iot-tracker/burning-the-firmware

I really donā€™t understand. You suggest me dap-link and then sent me to jlink. Really confused.

Also JTAG link in your store is brokenā€¦
https://store.rakwireless.com/products/emulator-kit

Our DAP-Link is not yet on the market. About next month. The guide will release together.

Hi @nero. Back again!
Finally I could flash the bootloader using a Raspberry PI and openocd.

Then, using Rak5010.rui from github, everything goes ok, compiling and flashing.

The problem Iā€™m facing, is only receiving the:

****************************** Arduino on Rak5010 ******************************
bg96 power up!

message in serial terminal, and nothing else.
Could you tell me where to look?
Compiling with no errors, also when flashing. Following the steps as this post indicates.

Thanks again!
Ramiro

Hi,
Do you modify the example code? After it starts up, it will power bg96 and scan all sensors on the boards. It looks like you are stuck here. If bg96 starts ok, the blue led on and red blink. Is it ok on your board? If ok, next to check sensors. In the setup(), you can delete sensors init one by one to find which sensor is not ok. It is important to exclude hardware problems.

Didnā€™t modify the code.
None of the leds (blue nor red) turns on or blink.

Only if I press BG PWRKEY button, leds behave as you described.
Seems a bg96_init routine problem.

Using the original firmware and AT commands, everything went correct.

OK, I see. Because the power up step is same as power off on bg96. So after download, youā€™d better remove the usb and insert again. And then open serial tool.

Already tryied that. downoad-> remove USB -> Insert USB -> open serial.

Same results

Hi Nero. Finally I found a problem in PCA1006 variant file. Serial1 wasnā€™t declared properly.
With Raspberry Pi, could flash, and reflash correctly. Then using Arduino IDE to burn new firmwareā€™s.

Thanks you very much.
Ramiro

Hi Do you have the steps on using pi3 to burn the bootloader using openocd?

Ramiro - I believe I have the same issue. How did you resolve the Serial1 declaration?

TY.

Serial1 - actually I found that in the ā€œvariant.hā€ file I had to add this:

#define PIN_SERIAL1_RX (8)
#define PIN_SERIAL1_TX (6)

This file is located on my computer at: C:\Users[USERSNAME]\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\adafruit\hardware\nrf52\0.21.0\variants\pca10056

Possible that changing Serial1.xxx to Serial.xxx might have also solved the problem.

Hi. The original variant.h file (in the path you mention) had:

#define PIN_SERIAL2_RX (8)
#define PIN_SERIAL2_TX (6)

I need to change to:

#define PIN_SERIAL1_RX (8)
#define PIN_SERIAL1_TX (6)

rajedran, sorry for late answer. The message went to spam.
If Iā€™m not late, I followed this steps:

Then from command line:

flash erase_check 0

flash write_image /tmp/RAK5010_V3.0.0.10.hex

verify_image /tmp/RAK5010_V3.0.0.10.hex

reset init

Hope it helps.
Ramiro

Hi Ramiro,

Thanks so much for replying. In fact I was able to flash the board using a JTag.

However now Iā€™m having issues getting any GPS signals.

Regards
Raj