GPS Accuracy on RAK12500

Good morning,

Maybe I can contribute for the conversation.

The coverage become much better after when I connect a outdoor antenna (photo below):

In a u-blox presentation that I saw here in Brazil, I got some important numbers (screenshot below), and they are related with how is the start process: cold, warm or hot, and the time to be ready is directly related: “Precise Positioning” (it is in Portuguese, but the slides are in English)

For example:

• for entire satellite constellation(Almanac), until 12.5 minutes
  • Time to First Fix: cold start is 30 seconds
  • Almanac data validity: 90 days

I hope it helps

Thanks!

I know that the antenna is important. However, i also need the enclosure to be rather small. The 16x16mm that the current block is, is acceptable. I can deal with some other sizes, but nothing as big as what has been suggested so far :slight_smile:

Using the powersave mode, instead of on/off probably does work better for me as it’s less of a cold start. It does however take more battery life. So it’s a balance!

Can i ask - are those 18650’s in parallel? And how is that going with the RAK baseboard?

It is not complicated. In the photo below you will see a 18650 case for 2 batteries in parallel. You will need only to connect the case (red/black wires in a jst connector) in the base board

[Product configuration]
(RAK19007 Quick Start Guide | RAKwireless Documentation Center)

1 Like

Sorry to ask, but would the R&D team be able to do some heat testing?

I just spend about 45 min in the garden with hairdryer warming up the antenna and PCB.
I did this in two stages. So only warming up the antenna, and then only warming up the PCB.
In both cases the accuracy went down.

Of course, my test is not perfect, and a hairdryer is of course a massive source of interference (i’ve run out of time to let the hairdryer run without heat and see if that also caused issues). And of course in both cases the coax cable heats up.

In any case, i’d really like to understand what temperature does on this setup.

Wanted to post a picture of the tracker that i’ve made:

I initially had the battery and PCB turned around. That made the GPS cable go under/over/close to the PCB. The issue i had before is now solved and with <2HDOP check i get accurate results:

1 Like