Arduino 2.0 debug support

I’ve just installed the Arduino IDE (2.0.2) and am connected to a RAK4631-RUI3

There is a new debug function button to the right of the upload button. A mouse over event shows the message “Debug - Debugging not supported by WisBlock Core RAK4631 Board”.

Is this something that I haven’t configured properly, or is just not supported at the board level over USB (yet)?

@psupine

We experience problems with Arduino IDE V2.x.x and recommend to use Arduino IDE V1.8.19.

For the new function “Debug”, I think it requires some support from the BSP. I am not aware that RUI3 BSP would support it.

I’ve not tried to use the Arduino 2.xx with debugger support, but

From what I’ve seen in this journey with dev boards there are two general versions re debugging.

1. the dev board has an on board debugging module which is accessible via the normal usb connection. The various IDE’s may have support for these boards built in. The ST Micro boards typically have on board ST-Link modules that can be use to debug the on board micro or even an external dev board that may not contain an on board debug module. NXP boards may also contain on board debug modules.

2. those without an on board debugging module, which requires an external debugging module connecting via the dev boards J-TAG, SWD (Serial Wire Debug) or some other proprietary interface.

Unless I’m mistaken, The Wisblock falls into the second category requiring an external debug module, connecting via the SWD pins.
I’ve used STM boards for debugging the Wisblock but managed to break them, ( the ST board, not sure how/why) Then I picked up the Segger J-Link EDU debugger module (not for pro use), connecting via SWD, that’s been working just fine for sometime now.

I suspect the newest Arduino IDE could be configured to support the Wisblock via the J-Link/ST-Link/SWD interface, and probably already does via some other dev board.

If you really want to get into debugging, take a look at this:

There may be other links in the forum with more debugging info/suggestions. Might also look at Segger’s Ozone debugger as a possible alternative debug IDE, still needs an external debug module.

1 Like

Thanks. I have a number of debugger modules lying around the place. At least two of them are SWD based, but without the relevant configuration files from RAK (and probably originally from Nordic) I’d be stuck.

For me it’s not the highest priority anyway. I’d use a debugger if it was available, but I have other things I need to get on with.

Hang on… you just said you are using the Segger J-Link and it’s working just fine. What IDE are you running on?

I use PlatformIO within VSCode on Ubuntu Linux to build/upload/run the code, one can debug within PlatformIO (via J-Link/SWD) but lately I’ve taken to using Segger Ozone (free to use) as the debugger if I need to debug it.
Seems to be more RTOS friendly. Connecting using the J-Link EDU via the Wisblock SWD pins.

You can use what ever IDE you choose, just build the app for debug, fire up Ozone, point to the elf file and upload it or connect via Ozone.
But I suppose there maybe setup things I’ve forgotten, it’s never “just that easy” :o)

Is there any change to this? Is Arduino 1.8 still the perfered version?

Welcome back @sossie07

No change in the recommendations. It might work or not with Arduino IDE V2.

Personally I don’t use either, PlatformIO is my preferred environment and like Leroy I use it with Jlink for debugging.

I’m using Arduino IDE V2 without any real drama. I’d rather be using PlatformIO and Jlink, but I’ve never managed to get it to play. It would also make a world of difference if debug was supported for the Arduino IDE V2 environment (and RUI3).

(Under RUI3, I really recommend putting the “delay(1000)” line at the start of setup after the first “hello world” kind of output, so that you have a chance to send AT+BOOT and recover an otherwise locked up board. It has saved me more than once.)