Arduino RUI3 Support for RAK3172

Hi,

I followed the RAKwireless BSP Support For The Arduino Board Manager tutorial and I get to this step, but I do not see the STM32 boards option. Has this not been released yet or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum @ProblemSolved

RUI3 for the RAK3172 is not released yet. We are in the final testing stage and will make it public soon.

@beegee thank you very much!

Sounds good, looking forward to the release.

Any ETA on when RUI3 for RAK3172 will be released?

We’ll let you know once it’s ready.

We are also awaiting this release, any ETA guidance would be appreciated. If you are looking at weeks away could you please recommend the best way to get going with 3172 for stand alone applications, would that be limited to low level development using STM32Cube? Or, is it possible to use some variant of the Wisblock-API?

Hello @ec3
We are close to release RUi3 for RAK3172, there are 2 more bugs to be fixed, which should be done this week.

We provided a guide for STM32Cube, but I have to say honestly, I never tried it.

WisBlock API will most likely never support the RAK3172, it is designed for nRF52, RP2040 and ESP32 CPU’s and the implementation of the STM32WL would be quite complicated.

Hello guys,
i was wondering if there is a beginners guide on how to actually use RUI3 on RAK3172 as it’s a bit confusing when you read this doc:
RAKwireless Unified Interface V3 (RUI3) | RAKwireless Documentation Center as it seems this guide was designed for people already familiar with development on RUI.

1. So should one start reading up on RUI2 and come back to RUI3?

here are the things i could gather from the above and did so far:

1. i have flashed the RAK7132 with the new firmware as per the above doc and now i need to build my own custom code based on RUI 3 API, i have my VS Code, platofrmIO, Arduino already installed and ready to go, but not sure what to do next, what to install, what example to start with ?

it would be great if the team can provide examples we can check out to understand how to get started.

PS: does one have to follow this SSTM32Cube to start with RUI3 or is that a different thing?

maybe the doc above can include a clear how to get started for newbies, with no source code template provided.

Cheers,
Jay

Hi @JayjJay ,

I am the one accountable on making sure that you will be able to use the RUI3 smoothly by having the right and easy to follow docs.

Can you have a look on this guide and see if this is the one you are looking for - RAK3172 Module Quick Start Guide | RAKwireless Documentation Center

Hi @carlrowan
Thanks for sharing the guide, unfortunately i get stuck at section 6: as i can’t find RAKwireless RUI STM32 Boards so maybe the guide is ahead of development as there is no RAKwireless RUI STM32 Boards available to install…
Edit: if i may suggest it would be great if you can add that link to the learning section of the docs here: RAKwireless Documentation Center

Forgot to say: Good Job on the docs :slight_smile: :+1:
Jay.

Yes. It is bit ahead. Hopefully I won’t jinx and we release RUI3 for RAK3172 very very soon.

Good suggestion. It seems we need to add something in Learn section. Probably some people try to find stuff there. Hmm.

Thank you for your insights. Anything more feedback on the docs and guide, we are here to help and improve :100:

I wrote something, but it is not yet released. @JayjJay I will send it to you directly.

2 Likes

Hi @JayjJay ,

You can now explore RAK3172 RUI3!

Update your RAK3172 Firmware to RUI3 using this guide:

Start exploring RUI3 on RAK3172 via Arduino IDE using this guide:

1 Like

The BSP has some examples included. You can find two more examples on @beegee 's github repo :rocket:

GitHub - beegee-tokyo/RUI3-Sensor-Node-Environment: RAK3172 RUI3 example code for environment sensors (RAK1901, RAK1902, RAK1903, RAK1906,RAK12002, RAK12010)

GitHub - beegee-tokyo/RUI3-Sensor-Node-Air-Quality: RAK3172 RUI3 example code for air quality sensors (RAK1906, RAK12047 stc, RAK12037 stc) (stc = soon to come)

1 Like

Hello @carlrowan
Thank you for sharing, i have a question please.
i was playing with the low level dev on the Rak3172 before and now that you have release the BSP for arduino i was wondering if you can tell me how do i get the Arduino boorloader back on the chip? as i can’t get the firmware to upload…

Cheers,
Jay

Never mind i was able to upload the latest firmware using STM32 Cube programmer :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Jay

1 Like

Hello guys one more question please.
is there a guide similar to this: Installation of Board Support Package in PlatformIO | RAKwireless Documentation Center for installing the required files to use VScode with Platformio instead of Arduino IDE for RAK3172? if not can someone share the steps to achieve this please? developing in Arduino is a bit harder on the eye instead of VScode, and if you can it would be great to include a guide on debugging with STLink v2 as well :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Jay

Hi @JayjJay ,

@beegee created a temporary draft that I will share here. This guide will be in the doc center as well.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that, unless i’m missing something but that’s not using Platofrmio but instead it’s using Arduino extension in VSCode which is useful of course and much better than using Arduino IDE, but it’s different from developing in PlatformIO, is it not? i just never used it like this before so why i’m asking…

Great guide at least i learned something new today :slight_smile:

I hope the platformio guide is being developed :slight_smile:

Jay

Hello @JayjJay
Right now RUI3 is not supported by PlatformIO. Only Arduino IDE, Visual Studio Code with Arduino Extension and Visual Studio with Arduino Extension.

Working with the Arduino Extension in VSC is close to the experience with PlatformIO, but personally I prefer PIO because the feature to have a “closed” project with all libraries required and many other things are what I am missing with the Arduino Extension.

PIO support for RUI3 is in our development plan, but the priority for us is to support more of our WisDuo WisTrio modules first (like the RAK5010)