Battery use on LiPo

I built my WisBlock weather kit last week and decided, despite it having 12V available, to put it on solar.

To test it, I’ve turned off the solar so it’s just running off the battery. It’s taken 5 days before the reported battery voltage has dropped enough for me to see it on the chart!

Good stuff!!!

2 Likes

PS, It’s connected to the new v3 TTN stack - once I’ve built a couple more modules I’ll make the data / charts public as a small example of LoRaWAN data connection.

2 Likes

Great news. What battery are your using.
I build a handheld LoRa P2P sniffers with OLED display to check my local LoRa P2P installation (just motion, temperature, humidity and light sensors) and because I had no other battery around I run it from a tripple 18650 pack (6600mAh) and I am carrying it around now for 4 days without charging.
Using just Radio.Rx(0), not even the less power consumption Radio.SetRxDutyCycle();. But the sniffer is just listening of course. OLED is on all the time. My 5 nodes sending a message every 60 seconds.

So nice :star_struck:

How do you handle the data? Do you use a platform?

150mAh!

I’m using your deep sleep code and added in the temp/humidity & pressure sensor code.

I cranked it up to 5 minute sends to encourage some battery usage. Don’t normally have an RTOS running so bit wierd seeing uplinks coming in precisely on the 5 minute mark.

1 Like

Don’t use a platform - I’m good at firmware but I started out IoT life 15 years back doing the front end - device management & data analysis / dashboard.

Currently revamping my front end libraries to use the TTI v3 stack and giving them a make over.

Nice. I am on the opposite side. I always use platforms. I tried so many and since it is just 1 or 2 device, I am always at the free tier. Lol :sweat_smile:

Which ones do you use?

Most of my firmware work is getting the payload right rather than just collecting everything every time.

My favorite are thingsboard and ubidots. I just tried TagoIO, Datacake, Thingspeak and Cayenne.

Do you self-host your ThingsBoard?

On my personal projects, I dont. On my previous company, we have hosted on AWS.

Hi Nick, I purchased some Wisblock stuff but figured I would wait a bit to deploy it until any bugs got ironed out. If you are happy, I guess I’ll open the box! Let me know when you have data/charts etc to share.

@Amelia244
We plan to update the examples end of this month.
If everything goes well we will have some new IO and Sensor modules for WisBlock released end of the month. Once we have the examples ready for the new modules we will update both the Arduino BSP and the WisBlock examples.

I wrote some code for myself that is hosted on my own Github repos:
RAK4631-LoRa-BLE-Config
RAK4631-DeepSleep
RAK4631-LPWAN-Tracker

1 Like

The nRF is a powerful beast that I didn’t realise ran FreeRTOS under the hood, something I’ve not really used much as I pre-date operating systems on embedded (and some may say, on actual computers), so there were a few bits of code I had to figure out, but that’s more about me than the code base.

All the code worked out the box and creating a build without sleep was simple enough. The deep-sleep code works but you have to look around the three files to see where to put ‘stuff’ in the right place. Like reading the contents page of a small book.

So no real reason to wait, much of your code should be application specific so portable over to the new build coming soon.

You Sir not to be sure !

Giving wrong advices to possible buyers can be wrong !
Take care
Zoltan

Who are you referring to?

No one on this thread is a possible buyer, we all already have WisBlock kits.

… and they are working devices? Lte/NbIoT/GPS ?
I have many of them, testing by my self and give to professional testers in NZ.
sooo… took your lessons and read the forum please Sir.

I know from other posts you are frustrated with some of the modules but that doesn’t make ALL the modules a problem.

The way the computer / tech industry works now-a-days is that there is a tacit understanding that a first release is going to uncover issues that could never be found by testing in the design office - if every module that was created had every possible use-case tried and every different approach from all the developers in the world, thereby making them perfect they would be too expensive for us to buy. Which means they wouldn’t sell. Which means they wouldn’t be created. So we wouldn’t have them.

Personally I’m happy to evaluate a first release but I’d not plan on using them for a real world product until they’ve been well exercised by myself & the community. For RAK kit, I’m moving to the newer RAK42X0 modules from the RAK811 for building product, having tried many different things out over the last year.

Cutting edge is often called bleeding edge for a reason.

You may be a rabbit but I’m a goat (1967).

What I said was it is very hard to get technical product rounded off enough to release it at all, the expectation is that any v1 release is going to have issues. I find this is normal and as a smaller scale manufacturer, I fully understand why, getting to shipping is a huge uphill struggle trying to balance time & cashflow.

As the source code for WisBlock is fully open, why don’t you fix the issues?

On my iPhone v1 you couldn’t copy & paste and no one but Apple could write apps. Look how much has changed since.

1 Like