Bufferize GPS Data send by lora

Hi to all .

I’m realizing a project based on WisBlock with module Rak 5005, Rak4631 ( lora ), the sensor Rak 1906 ( bme680 ) , rak1910 ( gps ) , and rak1904 ( accelerometer ) .
I did the program and connect on the The Things Stack .
My problem is that seems that i did some error on code and when the device is offline from lora network, it don’t bufferize data . If the device go out of range from Gateway for example 30 minutes, when riconnect it don’t download any data … some suggest ?

Hello @projectsbminfo
Without more info about your code, it is difficult to say what went wrong. Is your code based on one of our examples?

#include <LoRaWan-RAK4630.h> //http://librarymanager/ALL#SX126x-Arduino
#include <SPI.h>

#include <Wire.h>
#include “ClosedCube_BME680.h” //http://librarymanager/ALL#ClosedCube_BME680_Arduino
ClosedCube_BME680 bme680;
//
#include <Arduino.h>
#include <bluefruit.h>

Dear Mr Beegee,

Thank you for the answer . All the code is based on rak examples and Ubidots integration example , we found some problem on the payload coding and decoding , but today analizing the data, i’ve seen that it don’t bufferize data … please help me !

I find nothing special in the code.

But what do you mean with “bufferize data”. LoRaWAN is just sending out a data packet, there is no feedback if the data was received at the server. And there is no buffering of packets on the node or in the LoRaWAN library.
If you are out of range of the gateway, the packet just disappears. WisBlock will send the packet whether there is a receiving gateway or not.

si is my ignorance , is possible to save the data when disconnected ?

Can you give us more light if the issue is on the device side, network server side or already in the integration part going to Ubidots? Where did you find the errors? In the device serial terminal? Network server? or Ubidots?

When you ask about saving data when disconnected, you mean you want to store it in local memory in your device? That is possible but needed to be coded in your wisblock depending on what storage medium you’ll use.

It will be helpful as well to be more specific on what do you mean with the don’t bufferize data scenario.

thank you for the quickly answer .
The schema is : wisblock ==> the things industrial ==> Ubidots
i’ve seen from Ubidots data explorer of the gps widget that it stop to receive data when disconnect , i thought that the data was bufferize and download the data when connect to the frts lorawan gateway available, but maybe i undestand wrong

Once the UbiFunctions are set, it should be automatically capture all the data from the Network Server (TTN V3).

But if there are no data coming from the Network Server (like if the device can’t reach a gateway), then there will be no data on Ubidots too.

An analogy can be like you cannot send an SMS if there are no cellular tower in your location.

1 Like

all is clear now, so i should send the data by Rak5860 IoT when there is not lorawan signal ? IS This possible ?

Yes possible. But the area should have an NB-IoT or LTE-M network available :+1:

1 Like

After the explanation of your collegue i undestand that probably there is not trouble , i was waiting something automatic from the device , excuse the stupid question but i’m newbie about programming . Is available some example about the payload data saving in the memory of device ?

We do not have direct example for that.

@beegee has a code that utilizes the flash memory of the RAK4631 WisBlock Core as a storage for parameters. But if you will write frequently to it, it might not be the best solution.

Probably you can use an SD card module where you can save the readings. We will launch our SD card WisBlock Module next week. You can write the readings on the SD card memory.

The next challenge you have now is how will you manage the transmissions of those data to the network server once you got the LoRaWAN coverage again. As you know that there are dutycycle and dwell time restrictions with LoRaWAN depending on your region. You can’t just transmit data in burst at will.

1 Like

For buffering sensor data, we developed the RAK15000 EEPROM module. But you do not have a slot left for this module :thinking: because the RAK1910 occupies two slots.
But you could use the GPS in the RAK5860, get rid of the RAK1910 and you have space for the RAK15000 :wink:
It would be the perfect solution to buffer the sensor data. We have example code RAK15000_EEPROM_AT24C02

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the suggests, i’m near to find the solution ! About Lorawan areas i know that there is multiband antenna , but better continue 1 step at time . Really thank you and best regards !