Can't control neither IO1 and IO2 of the RAK4260 evaluation board

I can’t control neither IO1 and IO2 of the 4260 evaluation board.

The 4260 evaluation board is composed of the RAK4261 (which houses the RAK4260) and RAK5005 (base board)

I was wondering which pins of the RAK4260 corresponds with the IO1 and IO2 pins of the RAK5005.

The RAK documentation is imcompleted… i could not manage not find the schematics of the RAK4261. (I was only able to find the schematics of the RAK5005)

Using a polymeter i was able to determine that:

• PB22 of RAK4260 is linked with the IO1 of the RAK5005
  • PA15 of RAK4260 is linked with the IO2 of the RAK5005.

I added some lines to the the ‘RAK4260-LoRaNode-demo-master’ project (https://github.com/RAKWireless/RAK4260-LoRaNode-demo) to control the IO1 and IO2 pins, adding some lines in the main.c.

//Initalization code for GPIO
struct port_config pin_conf;
port_get_config_defaults(&pin_conf);
pin_conf.direction = OUTPUT;
port_pin_set_config(PIN_PA15, &pin_conf);
//Toggle output
port_pin_toggle_output_level(PIN_PA15);

(The same thing to control IO2 with ‘PIN_PB22’)

The code should work perfectly since it worked correctly in the “SamR34 xplained pro evaluation kit”.

So my doubt is… what am I missing? What am i getting wrong?

Can the technical staff of RAK upload the schematic of the RAK4261??

Thanks in advance

Welcome to Rak forum @cisnal.

You can have the schematic of RAK4260 in this link https://downloads.rakwireless.com/LoRa/RAK4260/Hardware-Specification/RAK4260_VB_Schematic_20190807.pdf

I am not sure yet why your firmware fails. How did you upload your firmware? Did you use RAKDAP1 or a different programmer?

I think they want the schematic for the RAK5005 so they can see how it links to the RAK4260 to check the connections:

RAK didn’t copy the exact same pin definitions for their board, so there may be something different you aren’t expecting.

The docs of RAK4260EVB will be updated to include the necessary details.

She is actually right on the pins PB22 and PA15. Probably she needs the schematic of the module to know what could be the difference to SAMR34 eval kit.

The schematic that you have provided is the schematic of the RAK4260, but I need the RAK4261. RAK4261 is the WisBLOCK which houses the RAK260, but also has J4 (for RAKDAP1 connection), J5 and (for connection with the CPU SLOT of RAK5005 v3.0) J6 ( antenna) connectors.

I am uploading the program with the RAKDP1 using pyOCD following the RAK docummentation (Quick Start Guide | RAKwireless Documentation Center). The program is uploaded fine, and i checked that everything is working fine using RAK SERIAL PORT TOOL.

In my application i’m getting data from a sensor by i2c communication and the data is sent correctly using lora. The data is printed in the console of the RAK SERIAL PORT TOOL and the data is also sent using LORA. The SDA and SCL lines of the sensor are connected to SDA and SCL pins of J12 connector of the RAK5005-O, and the communication is working fine.

Now, I need to connect another sensor to a GPIO. I tried to connect my sensor to both IO1 and IO2 pin of J10 connector of the RAK5005. As I said in the previous message, with a polymeter I checked that the IO1 and IO2 pins are connected to PB22 and PA15 of RAK4620, respectevely (Note: if I had had the RAK4261 schematic, I wouldn’t have needed to check it with the polymeter, just to look to the schematics of RAK4261 and RAK5005). However, I can not make any of them (IO1 or IO2) works.

I read something about burning the firmware, but i did not do it because the RAK4260 seems to work fine (as I said before i2c, lora and uart modules are working fine in the board).

Thanks

1 Like

I cant wait to see it. I think it can be very useful for developers, specially when you want to use some SLOTs of the RAK5005.

I only need the IO1 and IO2 pins of RAK5005, so I pretty sure that these pins are connected to the PB22 and PA15 of RAK4260 (checked with polymeter)

Checking the schematic of the RAK4260 it is clear that the pin definition of PB22 and PA15 for ATSAMR34J18B and RAK4260 is the same.

The RAK5005 schematic is not on general release but it doesn’t actually tell you what is connected to the 40 pin CPU header for each of the plug in boards but uses some generic naming convention which, thus far, as matched the pins on the boards I’ve wanted to use thus far.

That may as well be in this instance and I didn’t say they weren’t, I’m just giving you heads up that the IO isn’t exactly the same as the Microchip board which may trip you up in the future. Sorry if this was an overshare :zipper_mouth_face:

Thanks for the headups! I read that before, but I do not know exactly what it really means… Can you give me an example?

Details here: