Can't update the PI

Hi.
I am trying to update the PI3 within the Pilot Gateway and receiving the following error:
sudo apt-get update
Err:1 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster InRelease
Temporary failure resolving ‘raspbian.raspberrypi.org

Additional failed links which the system does not let me post.
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Have you encountered this behavior? If so, how did you resolve that?
Thanks
Ilan

Hi @Ilan It is possible to have a known bug with the Pi DNS. We work on it :slight_smile: Please run this command from the Pi command line
sudo echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" | sudo tee /etc/resolv.conf && sudo echo "nameserver 8.8.4.4" | sudo tee /etc/resolv.conf
and try again.

Hi. @velev
Thanks again for taking the time.
So, I researched the error on the Raspberry PI boards before I asked my question and I already made this change. It does not solve the problem.
I suspect that it has something to do with how my machine is configured. I can use the RAKwirelsss network to access the Pilot Gateway, but I can’t access the internet using this network when I SSH from my mac to the box.
When I use the PI directly with a screen and keyboard I am still unable to access the internet and ping Google or Yahoo even though the lights on my switch are green for the CAT5 that connects the Pilot to the internet.
I used the instructions on this page https://docs.rakwireless.com/Product-Categories/WisGate/RAK7243/Quickstart/#prerequisites
to configure the pilot. Maybe there is an issue there. Which mode should be enabled AP or client mode?
Is there any other factor that decides if the box connects to the internet or not?
Thanks
Ilan

The “RAKwireless network” is a local WiFi Access Point that is in no way shape or form connected to the internet - it is only there to allow you to access the gateway to tell it what your WiFi network settings are so it can get online.

When you say “the lights on my switch are green for the CAT5”, that light indicates that the switch is electrically happy with the connection - it says nothing about how the Ethernet is configured.

You need to setup the Pi for a wired connection as per the many tutorials on the internet - probably simplest to go with DHCP to get it working at the console first. Then if you want easy SSH access you can make it a static address later.

Even simpler would be to re-burn the SD card and run the RAK setup from the beginning to tell it your wifi settings so you don’t have to learn Debian network config - but then apply the DNS fix.

Thank you @nmcc
I appreciate your continuous support. :+1:
I guess I just confused by the complexity of bringing this box online. I have more than 10 Raspberry PI boards and they are all working fine and were really easy to connect to the network and assign tasks to,
This specific distribution seems to be very different and also somewhat buggy.
I will try to reinstall the software as you advised.
Have a good evening.
Ilan

so, I was able to change my laptop’s IP in order to connect to the box which is connected to the router via a network cable. Before the connection request just hang in there and withered away. Now there is a response, but it is a negative response.
root# ssh [email protected]

ssh: connect to host 192.168.10.10 port 22: Network is unreachable

MacBook-Air:~ root# ssh 192.168.230.1

ssh: connect to host 192.168.230.1 port 22: Network is unreachable

As you can see I tried both IP ranges just to be sure. And, BTW, my laptop does not have an internet connection after I changed its IP address.
Any ideas if I can do anything else to fix this?
Thanks
Ilan

The router is unlikely to route IP addresses that aren’t for its network. If you want to try a direct connection, it means exactly that, one network cable between computer and Pi.

But as the MacBook Air doesn’t have an Ethernet port (unless you happen to have an adapter), effectively you have a Pi on a different network to the router but plugged in to it and a laptop with WiFi on a different network to the router but using radio to connect to it.

So, first of all, I’d ask the authorities to turn off power for one minute for your area to allow all the very confused chips to reset.

Then I’d go with Plan A:

Which will turn the Pi in to a WiFi router so you can access it with your MacBook so you can set your REAL WiFi details for your very confused & probably hungover router and when it restarts, everything will be on the correct network. The instructions do work, I’ve setup several times now.

As before, if you do in fact have access to the Pi command line via a monitor & keyboard, it should take ~30 seconds to configure it for your WiFi:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/wireless-cli.md

Thanks, but I already did all that except linking my computer directly tot he PI and burning a new SD card. I am actually not sure where to get the specific OS version you guys are using. The Download section of the website is confusing, (obviously…)

I tried to configure the machine directly with a monitor and keyboard while it is connected to my hub and it does not connect tot he internet.

It’s great to know that you already set up a few. A good and ACCURATE tutorial would be helpful.

This specific machine does not want to connect to the internet. There is a DNS bug with the OS that is probably combining with another bug and an unrelated hardware issue with the power supply that was sent to me.

It’s very hard, maybe impossible to resolve all of these issues without real support.

Ilan

Thanks, but I already did all that except linking my computer directly tot he PI and burning a new SD card. I am actually not sure where to get the specific OS version you guys are using. The Download section of the website is confusing, (obviously…)
I tried to configure the machine directly with a monitor and keyboard while it is connected to my hub and it does not connect tot he internet.
It’s great to know that you already set up a few. A good and ACCURATE tutorial would be helpful.
This specific machine does not want to connect to the internet. There is a DNS bug with the OS that is probably combining with another bug and an unrelated hardware issue with the power supply that was sent to me.
It’s very hard, maybe impossible to resolve all of these issues without real support.

Ilan

You are right, I’m only fake support, just one that happens to have already setup RAK Pi based gateways and I originally diagnosed & solved this current problem for others here & on TTN forum.

I’m not sure I understand this - you’ve already done all the other things, but haven’t done the thing I’ve suggested twice. Or used the very very official authorised details on how to setup WiFi at the command line that I linked to.

For emphasis, others have had the problem you are having, it is unfortunate that the card image was released without a DNS entry, but they merely added the DNS entry and it then worked for them.

or

The first one is the one I followed when I setup my RAK7246 & then my RAK7248.

Both support pages have links directly to the latest firmware:

https://downloads.rakwireless.com/LoRa/Pilot-Gateway-Pro-RAK7243/Firmware/RAK7243_Latest_Firmware.zip

You can reach the support pages via the product page on the main website.

I appreciate you are frustrated. But you are not following the advice given to you.

As your SD card could now be in a bit of a mess, I’d go with re-burning it and starting over.

@nmcc This is not the first time I am active on a project message board. When I discovered a bug on the Storj project, their technical support logged into my network and resolved the issue. They then came up with a solution for the whole community.
I would grade that a better support experience than I receive here.
Again, thanks for taking an active stance and scolding me in front of the whole forum, but this doesn’t really help me in resolving the issue.
I used the documentation links you posted here and was not able to resolve the issue.
Maybe the Pilot is not ready for prime time yet.

Ilan

I’m sorry you feel scolded, but I’m really not partial myself to being dismissed as not real support or to having multiple recommendations over the three forum posts you’ve made not tried without good reason or any feedback. At this level, community support is encouraged as time zones and margins make having staffers available all the time for the trickle of posts unfeasible.

Have you re-flashed the card? At what point did it not go to plan?

The Pi3 gateway has been around for a while now, both from RAK and from Pi-Supply. There has been 4 or 5 issues raised between here & TTN forum regarding this recent matter, in the main quickly resolved.

Timezone mis-match for Europe & Americas means prompting RAK main office staff will delay every response by around 12 hours unless one of them is working late.

Hi, @velev
Thank you so much for your amazing support session today. You fixed the issue and I really appreciate that.
Thanks again.
Ilan

@Ilan, it is disappointing that after spending time trying to assist you on three different forum posts that on two of them you pointedly thank someone else so emphatically.

In particular for this very issue as I said above, I originally diagnosed the problem & have successfully assisted others in resolving it so I have no idea why you would not follow the advice provided.

Not really. You, @nmcc

Not, really? You @nmcc

This command does not execute and hangs the CLI, just to let you know