Check concentrator rx status via software

I have noticed that in a few occasions the concentrator (RAK831) stops receiving frames, most probably due to failures on the power supply. In such cases, the LED RX from the “TXRX status indicator” stays off until I execute “sudo service ttn-gateway restart”. I can’t find anything that indicates the fault condition in the registry (syslog).
Is there a mechanism or any other way to monitor the status of the LEDs via software?
I’m using a raspberry pi 3 model B v1.2, running raspbian and connected via SPI.
Regards

It’s quite probably that the packet forwarder process has exited. Are you sure there aren’t any messages about that in the log?

At any rate, not sending a stats message every 30 seconds or minute would be an indication of failure. It’s also possible for the process that launches a process to detect its death.

Is there a mechanism or any other way to monitor the status of the LEDs via software?
I’m using a raspberry pi 3 model B v1.2, running raspbian and connected via SPI.

The RAK831 itself does bring out some signals of potential interest, if those are connected to PI GPIOs in your setup they could potentially be monitored.

Or you can add extra logic to the threads in the packet forwarder to give more up-to-the-instant status output - you probably don’t really need extra connections, since there is software on the pi (that is open source an open to customization) all but constantly trying to talk to the concentrator chip.

Hi @gax What software is running on that Pi. RAKs image or standard pkt_fwd?

I’m now powering the system through the GPIO connectors and with a better power source. Since then the problem did not appear again.

I am currently using TheThingsNetwork packet forwarder GitHub - TheThingsArchive/packet_forwarder: Packet forwarder for Linux based gateways.