Custom code for 4631

Hi, I’m a beginner in this space and am wanting to create a POC made of 2x environment sensors that communicate with a base station over Meshtastic/LoRA, which then captures the data into a database.

The environment sensors are based on RAK 4631 (19007/RAK4630/1906 kit)
The base is RPI 5.

Is there a way for me to add custom code into the firmware of the RAK modules that allows me to customize messages between the environment sensor nodes?

Welcome to the forum @PrateekSS

If you are using Meshtastic, you have to contact them. We are not developing or maintaining the Meshtastic firmware.

I built a test system with multiple sensors and hubs and a gateway to MQTT. All of this is done with “standard” Meshtastic firmware (all required changes are now in the standard Meshtastic firmware).

Meshtastic-Sensor-Network

Your POC/test is perfect!!!

It exactly the type of thing I am looking to do, except I want to add a bit of customization to the sensor readings and send it as a single message - string - with values. The gateway then receives this string, parses it and does some other bits to it.

The scope of my question is just on the send side. Are you aware of any way to customize the sensor readings into a single string and send out?

I will also post to meshtastic boards. Thank you for your kind guidance in the meantime.

I did not even try to change the format in which the data is sent, because it is fixed and used in different parts of the Meshtastic code.

I agree - standard firmware is the best. I’ll try to copy your example in my implementation of 4x 4631 and a Pi5 base + RAK Hat and use MQTT.

Btw, are you available for coding help (as a paid-for project)?

Best wishes.
Prateek