External LTE antenna on RAK7243

Hi,

is it possible to replace the two LTE antennas provided with RAK7243 by one external antenna that could be wired on (main or div?) SMA connector, whitch type and specification of antenna do we need?

Hi,
no idea?
thank you,

Hi @bernie2308,

Sorry for not replying sooner.
Yes you can only use the Main LTE, however bare in mind that the other LTE antenna port should be terminated with a load you should not leave it open.
For the antenna you can use one of RAKs own monopoles (N-type to SMA extension cable included):

Regards
Vladislav

Hi @Hobo,

Thank you for your answer, will be usefull on the forum.

• “other LTE antenna port should be terminated with a load”, what if I disconnect directly from the board?

• The link you send refer to a LoRa antenna… do you confirm such antenna can be used as external LTE antenna?

Regards,
Bernard

Hi @bernie2308,

I am sorry I thought you wanted a better LoRa Antennas, as this is the thing that is most important for great coverage. There are also LTE antennas offered by rack, which are very similar in size, shape and gain to the LoRa antenna (3dBi version). They are not yet available in the store, but you can mail Ken ([email protected]) with an inquiry, he should be able to help.
You can disconnect the antenna directly, however I do not recommend this as the reflections could fry the frond end. Better be safe than sorry. However those loads a re quite expensive, so perhaps just leave the existing antenna and add the bigger one. This way your port is terminated and you still have the boost in gain. Also will keep the connector from gathering dust.

Regards
Vladislav

Hi @Hobo,

Thank you!
Div antenna stay in place, and I connect an external Lte antenna instead of current main.
Topic is solved.

Regards,
Bernard

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.