Flash firmware on iTracker 8211 with arduino fails

Hi all, I have problems burning/flashing the iTracker8211.

Setup:

• Segger J-Link JTag Debugger
  • Arduino environment
  • iTracker 8211 NBS

Issue:

I try tu burn/flash the iTracker 8211 NBS. I followed the documentation (for arduino)

After “Verify and upload led_switch example” the iTracker isn’t detected any more as Bluetooth device and my upload-output says “Error: nRf52.cpu – clearing lockup after double fault”.

I also wondered why I do not have the “nRF5 Flash SoftDevice” option in arduino (which is shown in 4.3 Set the board and burn softdevice).

Details:

This is my complete debuging output:

This is my Pin connection:

GND -> pin 6
SWDCLK -> pin 9
SWDIO -> pin 7
(regarding https://www.segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/technology/interface-description/)

Do you have any idea, what could be the problem ?
best regards, and many thanks in advance,

tobias

P.S. this is my Debugger:

After “Verify and upload led_switch example” the iTracker isn’t detected any more as Bluetooth device and my upload-output says “Error: nRf52.cpu – clearing lockup after double fault”

You have to power 8211 through batteries.

I also wondered why I do not have the “nRF5 Flash SoftDevice” option in arduino (which is shown in 4.3 Set the board and burn softdevice).
You have to go through this step.

Hi Nicholas, thanks for your reply.

You have to power 8211 through batteries.

yes I put the board to batteries. And before I tried to flash it I could also see the iTracker as bluetooth device (through the nRF Connect App). After triyng to flash (regarding the documentation) not anymore.

You have to go through this step.

Yes, I followed exactly this documentation. The only differnece is, that I do not have this option nRF5 Flash SoftDevice which is discribed in “4.3 Set the board and burn softdevice”.

You have any other ideas about this issue ?

Does it look like the writing has been successful?

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Linux), Board: "iTracker, S132"

Sketch uses 26080 bytes (4%) of program storage space. Maximum is 524288 bytes.
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.10.0-dev-00254-g696fc0a (2016-04-09-12:07)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
	http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
debug_level: 0
swd
adapter speed: 10000 kHz
cortex_m reset_config sysresetreq
Error: nrf52.cpu -- clearing lockup after double fault
Polling target nrf52.cpu failed, trying to reexamine
nrf52.cpu: target state: halted
target halted due to debug-request, current mode: Thread 
xPSR: 0x01000000 pc: 0xfffffffe msp: 0xfffffffc
** Programming Started **
auto erase enabled
wrote 28672 bytes from file /tmp/arduino_build_530984/led_switch.ino.hex in 0.620467s (45.127 KiB/s)
** Programming Finished **
** Verify Started **
verified 26280 bytes in 0.086617s (296.294 KiB/s)
** Verified OK **
** Resetting Target **
shutdown command invoked

I think it wrote something to the board (because before triying to flash, I detected the iTracker as Bluetooth-dev and after not anymore). As shown in the sketch-upload-log above it has this error “nrf52.cpu – clearing lockup after double fault”, but als writes something to it “wrote 28672 bytes from file /tmp/arduino_build_530984/led_switch.ino.hex”.

I found now the reason why I couldn t flash the firmware correctly. I needed to:

1. setup nRF5FlashSoftDevice regarding https://github.com/sandeepmistry/arduino-nRF5#flashing-a-softdevice
  2. download and copy softdevice regarding https://github.com/sandeepmistry/arduino-nRF5/issues/363

maybe it would be good idea to include this to the documentation of the iTracker development setup.

But one thing still does not work:
I do not receive any data / serial-output on my serial monitor. I connect the JLINK V9 Emulator Kit Simulator and the upload does work now. I also can see and connect to the Bluetooth-Device (through the nRFConnect App). I connect my Serial Monitor to the given baud-rate but do not receive any data.

@Nicholas do you have any idea regarding this problem ?

You can try it by phone APP!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.