Gateway EUI needs to be 8 digits for TTN setup

Issue: Gateway EUI not provided with unit

Setup: RAK7258

Unable to setup gateway connection on TTN as it requires 8 digit EUI. On my RAK7258 the sticker has only mac address which is only 6 digits. I need 8 digit EUI to properly setup the TTN. How to fix this issue?

Hi, @shaun1960,
The gateway EUI is based on the gateway mac address, just add “fffe” in the middle of the mac. But it’s better to check it by web ui of the gateway, so you can check the settings if you need.

1 Like

You can also find the information on the LoRa® Packet Forwarder page in the LoRa® Gateway menu once you login via the Web UI.

Hi Nikola,
Thanks for the reply. I have already done this and checked, the problem still exists.

I am trying to connect to
https://console.thethingsnetwork.org/gateways/
It does not connect. I am not sure if I am doing the right setup
What is gateway key and what am I supposed to do with this key.

On RAK 7258
LoRa packet forwarder is set to LoRa Gateway MQTT Bridge
LoRa Network server type is set to Built-in LoRa Network server
Rest are left as defaults

I have not been able to get the payload on TTN

Any help will be highly appreciated, as I am stuck here.

Cheers

Shaun

Hi, @shaun1960,
The problem is that you are using the Build-in LoRa Network server.
Your LoRa packet forwarder settings should look like this, to forward packets to TTN :

except you have to choose the right server address for your region(I am in EU so I use “router.eu.thethings.network”.).

Best regards
Nikola

1 Like

Thanks Nicola,
I got the server address from the link below

Now I can see the traffic on the gateway on TTN

However, I am not able to link the Application, I have set it up as below.
The status is “never seen” what could be the reason?
I have connected a LoRa node Dragino LSN50

This is blank

This is the first time I am setting up and I could not find any video on the net, it will be good to see one for a typical application like this.

Regards

Shaun

Hi, @shaun1960,
You need to make sure that the credentials that TTN generates for you (appear, deveui, and appkey) are set in the node configuration.

1 Like

Hi Nikola,
The APPEUI, APPKEY and DEVEUI are supplied by LoRa Node and I have used them to setup the Application on TTN. What other credentials are required on TTN for the application to connect Gateway.
Like I said, I can see the traffic on TTN.

On RAK7258
Please see the attached, I am unable to enter gateway eui on MQTT Topic TAB

Regards

Shaun

Hi, @shaun1960,
The problem is that you use the Build-In application server in the gateway, but not the TTN application server. Please make sure that you are using the credentials that TTN gives you for the setup in the node(deveui, appkey, appeui).
Best regards,
Nikola

1 Like

The various MQTT settings are not relevant when the gateway is used with TTN

When used with TTN, the gateway’s only role is to exchange data between the UDP protocol and the radio.

In that case, the gateway has no knowledge of applications or devices at all, it merely passes packets between the Internet and the airwaves which it has no ability to decode or understand. When using TTN applications and device are things you work out between you nodes, the TTN servers, and any software you interface to TTN. So for example, if you want to use MQTT with TTN to get your application data, you would be using TTN’s MQTT, which is entirely distinct from the fact that the gateway uses its own MQTT when running in self-contained (non TTN) mode.

Hi Chris,
It makes sense, please have a look at the attachment, may be you may be able to detect what the issue is. I believe that the device address should refer to LoRa node, it seems to be changing. Even though the data from RAK7258 gateway is reaching TTN, the app is not able to see it. There is something missing and I am unable to find out.

Regards

Shaun

I believe that the device address should refer to LoRa node, it seems to be changing.

Indeed, in OTAA mode the sever (TTN) will assign a device address in the activation (join accept).

Whatever is wrong now would seem to be a problem with your node and it’s interaction with TTN - and no longer a question about the gateway.

Many people have had issues with nodes that don’t correctly receive the activation methods. Or which keep doing a re-join every time they need to transmit, when really they’re supposed to save the session information forever - ideally only join once, worst case only do so a few times in their service life.

But those are not gateway issues.

Thanks Chris for the insight, it makes sense. I will look into the node again. Great support :slight_smile:

Cheers

Shaun