How to connect the RAK2245 Stamp Edition to the Raspberry PI 3B+

Issue:

Hello everyone,
I want to connect the RAK2245 Stamp Edition to a Raspberry PI 3B+.
I found some documentation on this question, but i’m now sure if it is working on the Stamp Edtion too.

Setup:

On the third page of the pdf is a connection table for the RAK2245 Pi HAT looking like this:

Header | Raspberry Pi | RAK2245 Pi HAT
1 | 3.3 Volts | 3V3
2 | 5 Volts | 5V
3 | GPIO 2 or I2C SDA | PI_GPS_SDA (I2C)
4 | 5 Volts | 5V
5 | GPIO 3 or I2C SCL | PI_GPS_SCL (I2C)
6 | Ground | GND
7 | GPIO 4 | NC
8 | GPIO 14 or Serial TxD | UART_RXD_GPS
9 | Ground | GND
10 | GPIO 15 or Serial RxD | UART_TXD_GPS
11 | GPIO 17 | RESET
12 | GPIO 18 | NC
13 | GPIO 27 | NC
14 | Ground | GND
15 | GPIO 22 | NC
16 | GPIO 23 | NC
17 | 3.3 Volt | NC
18 | GPIO 24 | NC
19 | GPIO 10 or SPI0 MOSI | PI_MOSI
20 | Ground | GND
21 | GPIO 9 SPI0 MISO | PI_MISO
22 | GPIO 25 | NC
23 | GPIO 11 or SPI0 SCLK | PI_CLK
24 | GPIO 8 or SPI0 CE0 | PI_CS0
25 | Ground | GND
26 | GPIO 7 or SPI0 CE1 | NC
27 | GPIO 0 or HAT | PI_ID_SDA 3
28 | GPIO 1 or HAT | PI_ID_SCL 3
29 | GPIO 5 | NC
30 | Ground | GND
31 | GPIO 6 | NC
32 | GPIO 12 | NC
33 | GPIO 13 | RESET_GPS
34 | Ground | GND
35 | GPIO 19 | STANDBY_GPS
36 | GPIO 16 | NC
37 | GPIO 26 | NC
38 | GPIO 20 | NC
39 | Ground | GND
40 | GPIO 21 | NC

Details:

NC = Not connected

Last words:

Can I use this for the Stamp Edition too? I’m not willing to break something :slight_smile:
Best regards

Hello @jonatan ,
Welcome to RAKwireless Forum.
I recommend using this one because you don’t need to solder anything.
RAK2245 Pi Hat for Raspberry Pi | 8 Channel SX1301 LoRaWAN Concentrator Gateway – RAKwireless Store.

Hello @marcio ,
thanks for your reply!
At this moment the RAK2245 Pi Hat is sold out for my frequency (EU868) :frowning:
I wasn’t finding any available hardware, except the RAK2245 Stamp Edition.

If there’s another available hardware I can use for building my own LoRa Gateway, I would be glad to know this

Best regards
Jonatan

If you haven’t made a purchase yet, you might look at the RAK2287 which is newer technology that’s lower in power with very slightly better radio performance, and put it in the prewired pi hat as a holder. You’d need to then use a version of the packet forwarder software which expects the newer SX1302 chip rather than the older SX1301 chip.

If you want to use the stamp, then a quick look at the data sheet suggests it has its own power conversion to run from the pi’s 5v supply, though you might want to power the pi from the GPIO header where you tie in the stamp’s power and ground, so that you’re not running the stamp’s substantial power draw through the pi’s PCB.

To run the concentrator itself you then need the SPI pins (including the chip select) and the concentrator reset pin connected to a suitable GPIO. It looks like for the stamp you also need to provide the IOREF voltage for signalling - an unconfirmed guess would be that you’d connect that to the pi’s 3v3 GPIO pin since the pi uses 3v3 GPIO levels.

You only need to worry about the GPS / UART signals if you have actual use for GPS timestamps, most LoRaWAN applications really don’t, though if you have the hardware you can experiment with hooking that up and configuring it in the software, too.

1 Like

Thanks @cstratton ! I haven’t bought anything yet, so I could buy a RAK2287. The RAK2287 looks well documented too and ready to use for TTN v3

Best regards
Jonatan

Hello @Jonathan
Note that for RAK2287 you need to buy the pi hat and concentrator
RAK2287 (concentrator)

RAK2287 ( pi hat )

Or WisGate Developer Base:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.