How to use RAK2287 Concentrator as a Node?

Issue:How to use RAK2287 Concentrator as a Node?

Setup:

Server:

Details:I have RAK7249 Gateway and RAK2287 Concentrator. I cannot communicate devices with each other. I think the problem has occur because of i am using two device as gateway same time. I want to use RAK2287 as Node for solving the problem. How can i use RAK2287 as Node?

Hello @mert and welcome to the forum,

As mentioned in the docs center, RAK2287 is a concentrator that “enables an easy integration into an existing router or other network equipment with LPWAN Gateway capabilities.”

It cannot be used as Node. Simply put, this is the part that “hears” the data from Nodes (uplinks) and sends data back to them if needed (downlinks).

If you need a Node to send data, for example you can refer to the WisBlock products.

Hi @Martin

Which node product do you suggest to me? The product’s model have to be miniPCI.

That’s an odd requirement. Are your sure that LoRaWAN is suitable for your task? Typically LoRaWAN nodes are little battery powered systems that send tiny amounts of data at long intervals. mPCIe is more often found in mains powered systems that want to move volumes of data that really call for something like LTE or other technologies, not LoRaWAN.

If you really want mPCIe you’ll probably need to take one of the modules with a USB interface and physically adapt that to the USB bus embedded in the mPCIe standard.

It would help if you could provide more detail about what you are trying to accomplish. What exactly is the host system? What sorts of data is it trying to send, how large and how often?

Hi @cstratton ,

I’m pretty sure I’ll be using mPCIe. I am not interested in sending data to the internet. I want to communicate between two devices at a distance of 700m-800m in the city.

It’s not really clear to me that LoRa radios are suitable to the data needs of your application, but without further information about it you’ll have to determine that on your own.

As far as I know you option would be to take a peer-to-peer capable module (or with your own firmware on it) that has a USB interface, and make an adapter from the USB interface embedded in mPCIe to the USB pins of the module. If you pick a module that only has UART and not USB, you’d need to include a USB-UART chip on your adapter - CP210x series can be a good choice for that though there are many to chose from.

I’d strongly recommend you do a “bench test” of the proposed scheme using ordinary PCs to host the modules before you worry to much about fitting them into an embedded system - find out if the idea is going to meet your needs or not before you invest a lot of time and effort in making a deployable version of it.