Just updated nRF Boards for RAK 4631. Broke my code!

I just hit the update button for the Arduino library for nRF Modules and now I am getting this traceback. What can I do to fix it?

[22539] Error loading Python lib '/var/folders/xb/nmm5r_sx6w91r2484l55308h0000gn/T/_MEId8YXWV/libpython3.8.dylib': dlopen: dlopen(/var/folders/xb/nmm5r_sx6w91r2484l55308h0000gn/T/_MEId8YXWV/libpython3.8.dylib, 10): Symbol not found: _preadv
  Referenced from: /var/folders/xb/nmm5r_sx6w91r2484l55308h0000gn/T/_MEId8YXWV/libpython3.8.dylib (which was built for Mac OS X 11.1)
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
 in /var/folders/xb/nmm5r_sx6w91r2484l55308h0000gn/T/_MEId8YXWV/libpython3.8.dylib
exit status 255
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder returned 255
Error compiling for board WisBlock Core RAK4631 Board.

Also my buddy is trying to do the same thing and he updated his and is also an error but I am not sure if the 2 are related

fork/exec /Users/willballard00/Library/Arduino15/packages/rakwireless/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/9-2019q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++: no such file or directory

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Hello @a1projects
In Arduino IDE preferences → Additional Boards Manager URL’s can you check that the entry is:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RAKWireless/RAKwireless-Arduino-BSP-Index/main/package_rakwireless_index.json

What OS is your computer? Windows, Linux or MacOS?

I will look into it. Until then, you can just go back to 0.21.20

Mac OS X for both of us

Ah, MacOS again, always a headache.

@carlrowan , you have Mac, can you check? I tested on Windows.

also these are what I have in my preferences if this helps you

https://github.com/Heltec-Aaron-Lee/WiFi_Kit_series/releases/download/0.0.5/package_heltec_esp32_index.json

http://resource.heltec.cn/download/package_heltec_esp32_index.json
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/gh-pages/package_esp32_index.json
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RAKwireless/RAKwireless-Arduino-BSP-Index/main/package_rakwireless_index.json

Reverting it allowed it to compile again

My friend reverted his version and is still getting this error. How do we fix this? Here is his traceback

Arduino: 1.8.16 (Mac OS X), Board: "WisBlock Core RAK4631 Board, 0.3.2 SoftDevice s140 6.1.1, Level 0 (Release)"

fork/exec /Users/will/Library/Arduino15/packages/rakwireless/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/9-2019q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++: no such file or directory

I am updating my RAK4631 board version and it’s taking a while.

The error shows no directory. Can your friend check if the director really exist or the board installation is not done yet?

Hi @a1projects ,

I was able to compile my Arduino LoRaWAN sketch on v1.0.0 with no issue.

Hey has the bin folder /Users/will/Library/Arduino15/packages/rakwireless/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/9-2019q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ but the file arm-none-eabi-g++ is missing. What do we need to do to fix this? We have tried uninstalling/reinstalling and reverting back the nRF Modules, none of those worked

If my BSP’s get messed up (happens a lot to me) I do the following:

1. In ArduinoIDE uninstall the BSP (Remove button)
  2. close ArduinoIDE IMPORTANT
  3. goto /Users/will/Library/Arduino15 and delete the folders cache and staging
  4. delete the file package_rakwireless_index.json
  5. goto /Users/will/Library/Arduino15/packages/rakwireless and delete the folders there
  6. open ArduinoIDE, goto Tools->Board Manager and try a fresh install of the BSP

He canceled during an update, ok I will send this to him and give it a shot

Yes @a1projects, it takes few minutes to update. There are many example codes and other stuff included in the BSP. Usually, halting it in the middle causes these issues so I just leave it for a while then just get back then it is done.

I tried following these steps beegee recommended on my own computer to see if I could get the updated version, unfortunately it did not work. I was hoping if I could get the updated software maybe it would solve my connection issues. Here is my traceback when I tried removing all those folders and files and re installing.

[52019] Error loading Python lib '/var/folders/xb/nmm5r_sx6w91r2484l55308h0000gn/T/_MEI5BB7nY/libpython3.8.dylib': dlopen: dlopen(/var/folders/xb/nmm5r_sx6w91r2484l55308h0000gn/T/_MEI5BB7nY/libpython3.8.dylib, 10): Symbol not found: _preadv
  Referenced from: /var/folders/xb/nmm5r_sx6w91r2484l55308h0000gn/T/_MEI5BB7nY/libpython3.8.dylib (which was built for Mac OS X 11.1)
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
 in /var/folders/xb/nmm5r_sx6w91r2484l55308h0000gn/T/_MEI5BB7nY/libpython3.8.dylib
Multiple libraries were found for "LoRaWan-RAK4630.h"
 Used: /Users/A1/Documents/Arduino/libraries/SX126x-Arduino
 Not used: /Users/A1/Documents/Arduino/libraries/SX126x-Arduino-master
exit status 255
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder returned 255

This is a bit strange now since it involves python and .dylib stuff. These are messy things.

Hmm. I also use macOS and things get broken once in a while so I have a windows desktop too.

Can you check if we have the same structure?

I cant think of anything now but probably:

1. Use a different PC or Laptop (windows available?)
  2. Still use your MacBook but reinstall your Arduino from scratch.

I believe in the past when I have re installed the arduino app on mac os all the packages were still there and everything was the same. Are there some other folders I need to delete as well? Ugh I do but all my work is running on linux ubuntu 21.04, I am going to give that a shot

Great news, I was able to get the newest update running on ubuntu 21.04. We are about to test it for my friends mac clearing the code. His worked as well but we didn’t try the newest update, we played it safe and did 21.20 since he is on a mac

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.