LINKCHECK vs LNS values

Hi @carlrowan

For RAK3172, FW ver 4.1.0

I am using LINKCHECK in one test, but the values returned do not match the ones from the Gateway. Hard to know which one should I trust… In my printscreen, left is the info comming from LNS, and right is the return from RAK3172.

Additionally, please, can you briefly explain the parameters DemodMargin and NbGateways, the bigger the better?

Hi @IGtti ,

I haven’t explored well the RSSI and SNR difference on those two readings. Though what I suspect is that the left one is the value got by the gateway (uplink) and the right one is the one got by the device (downlink). If you need this info for deployment reason (ensuring enough margin), then it make sense to use the left one which is the worse case.

Hi @carlrowan
you are right, the left values I get from the LNS during Uplink. I would expect these parameters should be the same for Up and Downlinks…

Yes, my intention is to show the values in a small display to check the signal during deployment.

I know you have the product RAK10701, with a display. What does it shows for SNR and RSSI, from Uplink or Downlink?

Those values are from device to gateways. These values are consolidated in the backend. More information here - RAK10701-L Field Tester for LoRaWAN Quick Start Guide | RAKwireless Documentation Center

1 Like

RSSI and SNR in the Linkcheck response are the one seen on the node from the downlink after LinkCheckRequest (stumpled over that as well before), not the one seen on the gateway.

Number of gateways, the higher the better

Demod Margin is kind of difficult and nowhere really explained. I found this:

in the LoRaWAN-Link-Layer-Specification-v1.0.4.pdf document

1 Like