LoRa P2P RAK 833 signal weak

Hello,

I’m using the “RAK833 Gateway Module - SPI/USB - EU868”, so far I was using it for LoRaWAN communication.
Recently someone came with a LoRa P2P sensor and I wanted to use my gateway with the RAK833 module.
To do so, I just changed the parameter “lorawan_public” to false in the packet forwarder configuration. With that change I was able to receive frame coming from the LoRa P2P sensor but the RSSI is really bad.
At a few meters, I get a rssi of -44dbm for a LoRa WAN sensor while for the LoRa P2P sensor I get a rssi of -113dbm (at 20 meters from the gateway, I not even receiving the message).
The sensor as been tested with another gateway and the signal is way better.

Is anyone have an idea why with a LoRa P2P the reception is so bad?
Is there a difference in the communication between LoRaWAN and LoRa P2P which can explain that behavior ? Is the RAK833 Gateway Module compatible with LoRa P2P ? Do I need to configure something else ?

Thanks

Make sure the sensor’s antenna is still attached.

Another possibility could be that you are receiving weak bleed-over to a frequency other than the one on which it is actually transmitting. Are you sure the sensor is using the same bandplan as the gateway? Also make sure there isn’t another stronger signal report in addition to the weak one, sometimes a gateway will receive adjacent channel “ghosts” of a strong signal as well as the true signal.

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your answer.

The sensor’s antenna is well attached and I’ve tested with 2 different antenna to make sure the problem isn’t coming from it. The sensor is using the same bandplan as the gateway and I cannot see any stronger signal in addition to the weak one.

I don’t understand why LoRa P2P seems to not work properly.
Is the RAK 833 compatible with LoRa P2P ? Do I need to configure something for the P2P mode ?