Meshtastic Starter Kit + RAK13800 Issues

I have the Wisblock Meshtastic starter kit with the RAD 13800 Ethernet module (and the PoE module as well). The Ethernet module connects to my network, the PoE works fine, and I can ping the Ethernet address of the device. I can also connect to it via the Meshtastic app and can view nodes, messages, the map, etc.

However, when going into Radio Configuration, it takes me around three tries to pull back any of the configuration items (such as “User,” “Position,” “Network,” etc.) although I do eventually get data. But, when attempting to access the unit via https from the client.meshtastic.org site, it goes to the “Loading…” screen but no information ever populates on the screen. So, it connects but never pulls any information back.

Any idea what the issue might be?

• What product do you wish to discuss? RAK4631 & RAK13800

• What firmware are you using? Meshtastic v2.3.13.83f5ba0

• Computer OS? Windows 11 Pro

• What Computer OS version? 23H2

• How often does the problem happen? All the time.

• How can we replicate the problem? Here is the list of RAK hardware I’m using:
    1 x WisBlock Meshtastic Starter Kit for US915/ SKU: 116016
    1 x Ethernet Module WIZnet W5100S-L | RAK13800/ SKU: 100076
    1 x PoE Module Silvertel Ag9905MT for RAK13800 | RAK19018/ SKU: 100095
    1 x Environment Sensor BOSCH BME680 | RAK1906/ SKU: 100008
    1 x Sensor Extension Cable | RAK19005 | RAK19005/ SKU: 00025

Welcome to RAK forum @wjnewman ,

I never experience the issue you have. Except of course if I try to connect to RAK4631 via web client but it hasn’t started up correctly yet.

Some thoughts I have.

1. Maybe the issue is related to RAK13800 interface. If you remove it and just use basic Meshtastic, will the issue still persist?
  2. Were you able to try different browser? There is compatibility matrix you can check for the browser version you use.
  3. I also recommend that you reach out to Meshtastic community (forum, discord or github) and share the issue, they could have better ideas.

Carl,

Thanks for your reply. The Wisblock works normally when I connect with either serial or Bluetooth. I’m using the Ethernet to provide PoE power the Wisblock as well as provide easy access from within my home (as the radio is mounted in an enclosure on the roof of my two-story house). If I remove the RAK13800 interface, the unit won’t have power and I won’t be able to connect to it via the LAN in my home.

I’ve tried Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browsers and the inability to connect via the Meshtastic web client is the same. Any possibility that the RAK13800 Ethernet module is defective, as the rest of the Wizblock system works fine, it’s only the ethernet network connectivity that is the issue?

Hi @wjnewman ,

Is the node active if you connect the PoE power?

The only issue you have is that you cannot connect to it via LAN interface. Is this correct? As far as I know, the HTTP interface for CLI only works for ESP32 only at the moment. The RAK13800 should work as power source via PoE and for MQTT connection though.