Multi Nodes Application using RAK4631 Core Board

Hello newbie here.

I hope this is the right forum for my question :slight_smile:

I’m currently trying and exploring the RAK4631 Core Module which is connected to the RAK5005-O Base Board. I wanted to have a Multi Nodes set up where in one of my RAK4631 modules will serve as the ‘Server Node’ which will receive and request data from different RAK4631 ‘End Nodes’. However, I can’t seem to find any related documentation or github repo for this set up. I found a github repo but it only has a point-to-point communication.

I am just positively hoping that maybe someone here already tried to do Multi Node set up using RAK4631 or any RAK Core modules that I could pattern or get an idea from.

I’ve been searching the net for almost 3 days now but I didn’t find any docu or codes about this.

Thank you in advance to anyone who could help me. :blush:

Hi @adellagas ,

You can use the P2P (point-to-point) setup. As long as the parameters are the same for the TX and RX like frequency, spreading factor, coding rate, etc. They can communicate successfully.

However, if there are two TX trying to communicate to an RX with same parameters, there will be race condition since only one will succeed on transmission. This is without considering any collision on corruption on RF signal.

You can probable make some protocol or transmission procedure/algorithm so you can avoid this issue and the air wave will be shared appropriately. But still it is up to your application requirements.

Hi sir @carlrowan thank you for this.

You can use the P2P (point-to-point) setup. As long as the parameters are the same for the TX and RX like frequency, spreading factor, coding rate, etc. They can communicate successfully.

However, if there are two TX trying to communicate to an RX with same parameters, there will be race condition since only one will succeed on transmission. This is without considering any collision on corruption on RF signal.

Ohh I see Sir. Therefore I can still use the RAK4630 for this application. Do you have any documentation or github repo that I could idea from?

You can probable make some protocol or transmission procedure/algorithm so you can avoid this issue and the air wave will be shared appropriately. But still it is up to your application requirements.

For now, I’m thinking to introduce a delay somehow. I just need gather more ideas.

Example code will depend if you are using RAK4631 Arduino BSP or RAK463-R RUI3.

For Arduino BSP - WisBlock/examples/RAK4630/communications/LoRa/LoRaP2P at master · RAKWireless/WisBlock · GitHub
For RUI3 - RAK-nRF52-RUI/libraries/RUI_V3_examples/examples/Example/LoRa_P2P at main · RAKWireless/RAK-nRF52-RUI · GitHub

Hi Sir @carlrowan thank you for this.

I’ll explore this set up further. Once I set up my planned “Server Node” who’s gonna request data from several “End Nodes”, it will be the one which I will connect to the gateway to see those data on TTN.

I hope this works since I’m not so familiar still with RAK4631 and I’m not good at coding HAHA. I’ll just rely to those available in the internet and modify it