need Help getting into Wisblock

Hello, I want to get into Wisblock. I researched a little bit but am mainly unsure about CPU Module. I need Lora and NB-Iot. Is this parts I listed good for that? Does the Power Module make sense? I want the sensor to be off-grid.

NB-IoT: NB-IoT LTE CAT M1 Quectel BG77 | Cellular IoT Module | RAK5860

Enclosure: Unify Enclosure IP67 150x100x45mm

Core: Nordic nRF52840 BLE Core Module for LoRaWAN with LoRa SX1262 | RAK4631 / RAK4631-R / RAK4631-C

Antenna: PCB Antenna for LoRa

Battery Cable: Battery Connector Cable/5 pcs battery wires

Solar Cable: Solar Panel Connector Cable/5 pcs solar wires

Sensor: Temperature and Humidity Sensor Sensirion SHTC3 | RAK1901

Power: USB LiPo Solar Power Slot Module | RAK19012

Base: Dual IO Base Board with Power Slot | RAK19011

Which battery and solar panel would you recommend for this setup?

Welcome to the forum @Majestic_Point_5834

The list is ok, but from the number of modules there is no need to get the Dual IO RAK19011 Base Board. A RAK19010 has 4 sensor slots and 1 IO slot which is sufficient for the RAk5860 cellular module and the RAK1901 temperature module.

For the battery, every cellular module has a high demand on the current when used, a Li-Ion battery with 3200mAh (that is our “standard” we use on most products) will be sufficient.
For the solar panel, maybe the 150x100x45mm variant with solar panel is a solution

1 Like

I want to test other external sensors like ultrasound, radar, etc. This is why I chose the Dual IO. When do I actually need the Dual IO? Because the IO Expansion Module is more expensive than the Dual IO over Normal

Also the charger is LiPo but the battery is Li-Ion? Is LiPo and Li-Ion interchangeable?

What Core do you recommend? Because the Nordic is considerable more expensive then RP2040, STM32WLE5 or Apollo3

(1) Dual IO Base Board
Ok, now I understand, you will use the pin headers on the Base Board to connect the other sensors. Personally I prefer the RAK13002 module for the second IO slot. It has the GPIO’s, Serial Ports, I2C and SPI on pin headers together with a 3.3V supply that can be controlled by the firmware.

(2) Where did you read that the charger is for Li-Po? It is a Li-Ion charger chip. We suggest Li-Ion batteries. I found this article Can a Lithium-Polymer battery be charged by a Li-ion charger? that suggest it might be possible. But I never tried it.

(3) Core module

MCU RAK WisBlock name Advantage Disadvantage
RP2040 RAK11310 Dual core No BLE, no low power consumption support in the Arduino BSP’s, no real support for the second core in the BSP’s
nRF52840 RAK4631 has BLE, low power consumption, good support from both Arduino BSP and our own RUI3 BSP, many examples price
STM32WLE5 RAK3372 lowest power consumption No BLE, only supported by our RUI3 BSP, small internal flash (limited application size)
Apollo 3 RAK11722 has BLE, low power, price Only supported by our RUI3 BSP

My personal preference is
RAK3172 if my application is small and fits into the small flash and if I do not need fast IO operations
RAK4631 for everything else, because I prefer to use Arduino BSP

I barely use the RAK11720/RAK11722 Apollo3. It’s power consumption is a little bit lower than the RAK4631, but I am more familiar with the nRF52’s and the community support is much better (examples, guides, documentation)

(1) Makes sense

(2) Because it literally says USB LiPo Solar Power Slot Module

(3) Thank you very much

The NB-IoT Module takes one IO Slot. RAK19010 (Base Board with Power Slot) only has 1. So the RAK13002 (IO Module) wouldn’t fit anymore. If i am correct? So I need the Dual IO, because then I don’t need the IO Module or have 2 IO Slots

(2) “damn, another type”

Yes, if you want to use the RAK13002, you need the Dual IO Base Board.

Thanks for your answers.
What do you mean with (2)?

Can I connect the solar panel to the power module without plugging in a battery? So it gets power via solar and usb-c? or does this harm the electronics?

About (2) I ment a typo in the DOC center.

Using USB + solar panel as supply is possible, it will not harm the system. But the solar panel alone will not be sufficient to power the system if USB is disconnected. It is only useful to charge a battery.

Thanks.
I want to add a external sensor that needs 10-24V input. How/where would I get that voltage? 3,3v from the base with a step-up? or something different?

How much ampere?
RAK19002 can deliver 12V with 50mA max

Dont know exactly. But around 600mW

Could work, but it is the upper limit of the RAK19002. It might get quite hot.

I guess it would be better to use an external DC/DC converter for that.

Where would I connect this? Somewhere on the Power Module? Or between Battery and Power Module?

IMHO,
If you always have a battery attached, best would be to use GND and VBAT

If you always have USB connected, best would be to use VBUS and GND

Everything arrived and I had some to test everything.

Unfortunately i overlooked the incompatibility between the base board and the Screw boss.

Whats the best way to mount the base board to the incompatible screw boss?

What do you mean with “incompatible screw boss”.

The holes of the base board dont match with the holes on the screw boss of the enclosure