Need more information on WisGate

Hello everyone,
@beegee
Currently I’m using semtech gateway and L072Z LRWAN1 node and I’m looking forward to use RAK7289V2. I understood the difference between WisGate and WisDM.
WisGate is use to connect gateway and node as other networks Do.

1. I wanted to know does WisGate provide API key to connect the server data to my own database. As other server provider give API give Ex: The things network, Loriot,etc?
  2. If NO API, then how can i get the data from WisGate to my own system to process the data?
    I got to know there’s something as inbuilt lora network server and cloud server.
    Can someone guide and provide clarity on how can i get data from WisGate to my own system and clarity on inbuilt and cloud server.
    I tried connecting RAKwireless multiple times but got no response.
    Thank you.

Hi @Yuvi
WisGateOS2 is the OS that runs in the RAK7289v2. You can either forward the messages to an external LNS (like TTI or Loriot you mentioned) or use the built-in network server. You can enable the built-in network server in the Configuration tab of the LoRa menu (WisGate OS 2 User Manual | RAKwireless Documentation Center).

If using the built-in network server you will have to create the application and the device on the gateway itself. Then you have an MQTT API to get the data from the sensors. You have the settings for the MQTT under the “Integration Interface Parameters” section in the same tab. You might want to test first without security or credentials but remember to enable some kind of authentication before deploying the gateway.

By default, without any security enabled, you will be able to retrieve the data from the sensors using any MQTT client. I am using mosquitto_sub here as an example:

mosquitto_sub -h <ip_of_the_gateway> -v -t '#'

@xoseperez Thank you for the response.
I’m looking to use inbuilt server(WisGate).
As you said : By default, without any security enabled, you will be able to retrieve the data from the sensors using any MQTT client.
So if i enable security i won’t be able to forward packets from server to database?
And you also said: remember to enable some kind of authentication before deploying the gateway. So i have to enable security at last before deployment of gateway.
I’m getting little confuse as, I understood from your explanation that: If i want to transfer data from server to database using API MQTT, I have keep security disable. But before deployment i have to enable security and after security enable i won’t be able to use API MQTT?

Hi @Yuvi
Sorry, I did not explain myself. Sure you can connect to the built-in server from outside securely using MQTT over TLS, you can get the certificates from the WebUI.
I only meant it will be easier to do the first tests using plain MQTT (not over TLS). Once you have that working enable the option to require a secure connection.

@xoseperez Thank you for the information.

Hello @xoseperez
As you previously mentioned: If using the built-in network server you will have to create the application and the device on the gateway itself. Then you have an MQTT API to get the data from the sensors.

1. Create the application and the device: Does this mean creating the application server?
  2. And you also said then we have MQQT API: I don’t see API key tab into the WisGate.
  3. When i want to use IN-BUILT network server. why we need to use chirpstack as MQTT Broker host?
    If you refer to this link: RAK7289V2/RAK7289CV2 Supported LoRa Network Servers | RAKwireless Documentation Center
    refer to Connecting the Gateway via MQTT Bridge these document have mentioned to connect to chirpstack.
    Thank you in advance.

Hi @Yuvi
The build-in network server in WisGateOS lets you create gateways and applications (WisGate OS 2 User Manual | RAKwireless Documentation Center). An application is a bucket for devices that share something in common (usually, but not mandatory).
Once you create an application, you can configure the MQTT access to the data from devices in the " Integration Interface Parameters" option in the configuration page (check the same documentation page linked above).
If you use the built-in network server you don’t have to use an external ChirpStack instance. The built-in network server is based on a ChirpStack version and provides an MQTT broker.
If you want to use an external network server (like a ChirpStack instance on premises or on the cloud) you can configure a packet forwarder to that server (MQTT Bridge, UDP packet forwarder or BasicStation, depending on what that server supports).