Network ID and white list

hello Everybody

What means OUI? I don’t understantd good the paragraph below. Can Staff Rak explain please?
How can i create a white list? If I set a network ID, Must i set network ID in all nodes? What adventage i will have in set netword ID?

Packet Filter
By enabling this functionality, you can filter incoming traffic and only forward packets from
the desired nodes in order to optimize bandwidth usage over backhaul. You can filter by
OUI or Network ID by whitelisting.
The Enable Auto Filter slider allows nodes to be automatically dropped in accordance with a
set of parameters. One can set threshold values for Discard Period, Join Period, Join
Interval, and Join Count (1 and 2 for Join Interval and Join Period respectively).

Best regards,
Hernan

Hi @HCL,

Basically you filter by a portion of the device EUI.

Regards
Vladislav

What is the correct format for OUI filter input?
A8:17:58 or A8-17-58 or A81758

Assume only items IN the list pass as Setting NetID doesn’t work?

Any plans for DevEui filtering?

Hei @iiLaw,

Unfortunatelly I am the wrong guy to ask about this :slight_smile:
@yutao might be able to answer, that is when he has some time away from developing :wink:

Regards
Vladislav

1 Like

Hi :sweat_smile:
The OUI White list is a type of DevEui filtering. OUI means the first 6 bytes of DevEui ( in hexstring ).
E.g.:
DevEui : 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08
OUI: 010203
If you have enabled the OUI white list and add ‘010203’ into it, only devices whose DevEUI starts with 010203 are legal.

@yutao thanks understand that.

Multitech allow you to WL on devEUI which has on occasion been useful.
The issue with using OUI is all say sensors from Elsys are blocked.

BTW assume greyed background entries on LoRaWAN Packet Logger are dropped packets?

BTW assume greyed background entries on LoRaWAN Packet Logger are dropped packets?
Yes

I have a RAK7258 and whenever I add an entry into the OUI white list (just the first 3 hex values of the DevEUI), everything gets filtered including the devices I am attempting to whitelist. I’ve been RAKing my brain trying to understand why… Any other tips would be appreciated!

Updated the firmware to 1.3.3_RAK b100.

Hello @smay,

When you enable the filter, you also need to type the Network ID of the LNS:
The Net ID must be in decimal value (e.g. the Net ID of TTN is 000013 which in decimal is 19.)

Thank you. That was the missing bit.

Hello, this is my first time in the forum, I have the same problem with the white list, when I enter the first characters of the devui everything is filtered
could you tell me the netid value for chirpstack
Thanks

Hello @MarianoCestoni,

For ChirpStack you can use one of the following NetIDs:

You need to set the NetID in the ChirpStack network configuration file: chirpstack-network-server.toml
By default, the NetID is set to 000000.

Hi Martin, wow, thanks for answering so quickly
I made the change but when I activate the Package Filter option all the devices are blocked
I have a devui that is not owned by me trying to join request all the time and that is what I want to avoid

in OU List enter 736D633156 and in Network ID List 0

what am I doing wrong?

thank you thank you thank you

Hello @MarianoCestoni,

In the OUI List you need to type the first 6 bytes of DevEui (in hexstring).
For example:
DevEui : 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08
OUI: 010203

The Network ID List is correct (if it is set in ChirpStack to 000000).

Then all packets will be filtered and dropped, except the ones that are sent from a device, which EUI starts with 010203 (for this exmaple).

Martin, thanks again for replying.
the device i am trying to lock has a devui
736D6331 4E840063 (as picture shows)

and my 50 devices have a devid like the following
736D6331 56CC20EF so if you only enter the first 6 characters you should enter
736D63 and since they coincide, it would not be blocking it
Is there any other way?
Million of thanks

Hello Martin, sorry for bothering
Is there any way to filter more than 6 bytes?
Gracias!!!

Hello @MarianoCestoni,

Sorry for the late reply. The OUI is the first 3 octets of the device EUI. The OUI identifies the vendor/manufacturer/organization.

So, unfortunately, you cannot filter more than 3 octets.

thank you very much thank you thank you!!!