New RAK811 Arduino library

Hi @nmcc,

Thanks for your information.

BTW, we want to make a new module with SX1262 recently, and it will run Arduino. Do you know whether there is an usable LoRaWAN stack for Arduino which can work with SX1262?
You know, LMIC doesn’t support SX1262 now, so it can’t be used.
I’ve searched on Github, and found there is a repo which is developed based on Semtech Basicmac stack:

But the author said that it is not usable by now.

I know someone who’s implemented something to test the TXCO on the SX1262 and run some distance & freezer tests - I’ll see what he used but I’m aware he normally only does LoRa - I’ll come back to you

PS, I’ve met the chap behind Ideetron - he’s very good so if he gets it going, it should be good!

Hi @nmcc,

Yes, that repo seems really good, if it can be done finally.
Looking forward for your good news! :slight_smile:
Thank you!

Hi @nmcc,

I’ve discussed on Github with the author of another Arduino-Basicmac repo, and he tell me that his repo based on Basicmac has supported SX1262 now:

Do you think it is reliable to use this one? Or we should also port LMIC to support SX1262 by ourself?
Looking forward for your suggestion. :slight_smile:

Ha, it’s getting a bit of a tangle. I’ve used matt’s library as well. All of the Arduino LMIC ports suffer from bit rot, the flow of code is not very clear, the more recent versions exceed the 32K so you have to use a larger Arduino and, this is the bit I hate, it uses a very simple task scheduler to sort out the timing which can make things very challenging to debug - which as it’s just for the two receive windows could have been accommodated with a simple blocking timer (like the original Ideetron library) or a timer interrupt. At one point I printed out the LMIC source so I could try & trace through it all.

I met lacuna.space at TTN UK conference - very ambitious project but they seem well resourced so they should be keeping the library up to date. But it still seems to be LMIC at the core.
There seem to be a number of options:

• Use the LacunaSpace library
  • Porting https://github.com/Lora-net/LoRaMac-node - it already supports SX126x and your target processor has all the right facilities
  • Using your current library and the information from the LacunaSpace repository to patch over the SX126x support

I haven’t tried your Arduino library on a RAK811 but it looks to be very similar to where I left Atmega328 + RFM95W behind due to space constraints, even moving to 4809 I couldn’t do some things like BME680 etc - part of our design goal for entry level devices is to provide a starter kit that’s very accessible - there are many people who can cope with Arduino - but once you start introducing HAL files etc for a moderate sized STM32 or similar, it all gets very complicated.

I can see that a BLE, LoRa with USB using the Arduino IDE for development & programming has a lot of potential! What are your timescales for your new module?

Hi @nmcc,

I prefer to use the LacunaSpace library https://github.com/LacunaSpace/basicmac to have a practice firstly, do you think that’s OK?
About the module, i think maybe you can see it in 2 month. :slight_smile:

My timesheet is full of projects where I lost days debugging things, only one thing to do, give it a try!