[Newbie] RAK2245 Pi HAT first time setup, geolocation and device (Dragino LSN50 v2) not detected

Issue: Geolocation and sensor device (Dragino LSN50 v2) not detected.

Setup: Raspberry Pi 4, Model B (4 GB RAM) + RAK2245 Pi HAT Edition

Server: ChirpStack

Details:

Hello,

Today I received RAK2245 Pi HAT.

I followed the quick start guide:
https://doc.rakwireless.com/rak2245-pi-hat-edition-lorawan-gateway-concentrator-module/quick-start-guide

Everything went smoothly, installed perfectly.

However, when I login to the ChirpStack Application, I can see the gateway with the last seen as “a few seconds ago”.

But it won’t show the Geolocation, is that because I am indoors? I connected the the correct antenna at the correct place, checked twice.

And when I added the device Dragino LSN50 v2 with the correct DEV EUI, this too I double checked. Its simply not getting detected / connected. Last seen is never.
I even tried different LoRaWAN versions.

Am I doing something wrong?

Is this two issues?

For GPS, first time run will need to pickup the ephemeris data to be able to figure out what satellites to look for - this is going to be so much quicker with a good strong signal so if “indoors” has a solid roof or several levels above, it may not pick up anything. Usually it can do it at a window.

For the Dragino, can you hook up a serial lead so you can monitor what it thinks is happening? The documentation for that device says it is setup for TheThingsNetwork, so there may be other settings to change if you are using ChirpStack - you could switch your gateway over to using TTN.

You can try the following methods to confirm whether you get GPS information.

1. Use the command "sudo systemctl stop ttn-gateway" to stop the lora process first
  2. Can you get gps information using the command "cat /dev/ttyAMA0".

Thanks @nmcc and @ZhuQI,

Regarding the GPS, I think it’s because I am under multiple stories and in a concrete building in India. So that’s most likely the reason why it did not get set. I will try in a window.

Regarding the LSN50 v2, I need to restart the LSN50 v2 over 10 times so that it can connect once. This happens with both, The Things Network and ChirpStack. Any idea what this could be happening? I hope it’s not a problem with RAK2245 as it took 2 months to receive because of the lock down. :frowning:

Please give some debug info from the Dragino Node. Serial output? Or share the code that you use in it.

Which frequency band do you use, EU868, IN865, US915, etc.?
Please check whether the frequency band of the gateway corresponds to the frequency band of the node.
In the case of corresponding frequency bands, it is also necessary to check whether the channels of the gateway and the node correspond.

In the Chirpstack server, the node will not show online after the node is successfully joined. The node must send a packet of data to the server successfully before it shows online.

I think you can continue to use the Chirpstack server, and then ssh to log in to the gateway, use the command tail -f /var/log/syslog | grep chirpstack-net to view the log.
The node re-executes the otaa join process and checks the server log to find the specific cause.

Yup, that would definitely stop the GPS getting going.

Once it has made that first connection, it will have downloaded the ephemeris data that tells it which satellites are in the sky around it over the next few days and it will allow it to hunt for them specifically. Sometimes this means you can move some way from the window as long as it’s not opposite another tower block :slight_smile:

The other alternative is to get a GPS antenna with a very long lead - I have a 5m one for just that purpose.

What exactly do you mean by serial output? The USB to TTL connection info?

I am using IN865.
Yes, the frequency of the gateway and the end node match, here are the screenshots:

RAK2245 screenshots - Album on Imgur (Check first three screenshots)

Here is the log:

What I did was, turned off the gateway and the node. Then turned on the gateway and sshed into the gateway and ran the tail command. After that I turned on the end node and pasted the output that I got on tail command. This time the node connected on the first try.

My current issue is that, I need to restart the node 10 times for it to successfully connect.
And even after it does connect, the data uplink is not consistent. Sometimes it sends data, sometimes it doesn’t. Check the screenshots below, I left it powered on for a few hours on ChirpStack as well as The Things Network.

Use the above imgur link and check last two screenshots.
New users cannot post more than 1 image or more than 2 links.

Haha. That’s a long antenna.

Thank you for this piece of information, very useful for future use as well. :slight_smile: