Plan for "send on motion" feature

I’ve seen from at least one other forum post that “send on motion” is not currently supported, but is planned. When it this feature planned to be implemented?

I see it as being critical to most applications for achieving reasonable battery life, since most tracker applications typically have long periods of “no motion”. I would recommend that the existing “send interval” still be allowed, with the addition of a second interval that is used when the device is in motion. This way, you might configure an interval of 5 minutes while moving and an interval of 12 hours when not moving. I suppose that it may also be necessary to be able to set the accelerometer threshold that determines “motion”.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice.We will discuss the feasibility of this approach.

Hi @eric24,

Thank you for your advice! I think they are useful and we are plan to do them actually.
But in our plan, there will be 3 steps:
The first step is to improve our LoRa modules stability and usability including RAK811, RAK4200, RAK4270, and RAK4600. After this step, all LoRa modules will have a better use experience. We are at the end of this step now.
The second step is to improve our LoRa products based on the above new modules firmware, including RAK7201, RAK7202, RAK7203, RAK7204, RAK5205/7205, RAK7200, and so on. This step will start at the begin of next month.
The third step is to do the features like you mentioned based on the above strong products firmware. But i think this step may start at the middle of June.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear it’s on the list. Just to confirm, all three of these steps are firmware related, right?

Yes, they are all firmware related.

Another useful mode, once you have “motion sensing” worked out, would be to “send position after start of motion” and “send position after end of motion” (with a threshold of n seconds of motion or no-motion). That could be used together with the “send every n seconds while in motion” or independently.

@eric24,

Yes, these features are in my plan. :wink:

Only we need to wait a period of time unfortunately.
But at the end, as @Fomi is listening to us, we as a customer, all will be fixed and inplemented.
I’m sure!

Thank you for your trust. @JeroenKl :slight_smile:

@Fomi, any update regarding new firmware and timelines?

Hi @JeroenKl,

Really sorry to say that there are some reasons so that the plan of RAK7200 new firmware has been delayed.

As i have ever said:

Because of some reasons, the first step about 4 LoRa modules new firmware and documents haven’t been completed finally now, so the step 2 has been delayed. I’m afraid the step 2 will start at the end of this month.

@Fomi,

I really lost any faith, trust in your company RAK wireless.

Jeroen

I’m sorry I need to come back on this statement.

@JeroenKl, do you write code for micro-controllers?

Here are the features that I would request:

Firmware:

• Send an “keep alive” message periodically - User select-able period (I would set it to once per day)
  • On motion or lack thereof, with either acceleration or deceleration above or below a certain thresh-hold, send a message.
  • Always send location and environmental data in each message.
  • Include “store and forward”: save messages when tracker is out of LoRa Coverage area, and send the messages when coverage returns.

Mechanical:

• A low profile enclosure 15cm x 6.5cm x 2.5cm, solar panel on one side of top surface, internal antennas on the other side

You’ll need some level of hysteresis in there - ie, once it is being rattled around on top of the moving thing, how long before you either send a new position message, or wait before it stops for longer than a set of traffic lights &/or slow moving traffic.

Yes…good point. Sort of like de-bouncing a keyboard key.

Im more than happy to beta test anything that gets motion detection onto the 7200 and 7205.
Ive written similar code for esp32’s. I ended up having the emu trigger an interrupt which would wake from sleep. Features for me to even make usable are.

1. Send every X mins regardless of anything else
  2. On detection of movement send every Y mins / seconds
  3. If Charging let you know via a flag transmitted at the end of each data string
  4. Option for a send now button even if its on a gpi pin.
  5. Option to wait for proper 3d fix or fix and Z sats to improve the fix

Thanks
Dafydd

How many do you want to buy - I’d be happy to design one for you, RAK make it very easy with the modules they sell!

Has there been any progress on this? I like the RAK7200 tracker, but this would be a mandatory feature.