RAK 7205 5205 setup and TTN v3

Issue: Have both RAK5205 and RAK7205 devices and am trying to simply trying to get them to connect to a gateway. However, with both I follow the QSG (RAK5205 Quick Start Guide | RAKwireless Documentation Center) but with both devices I’m getting an “ERROR 82” from the serial terminal. Tried a number of different configs, but I feel like I’m missing a step. Doesn’t seem to even try to connect to a gateway.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks!

STATUS output below, deveui removed for security

at+get_config=lora:status
OK Work Mode: LoRaWAN
Region: US915
Send_interval: 600s
Auto send status: true
Send_interval work at sleep
MulticastEnable: false
DutycycleEnable: false
Send_repeat_cnt: 0
Join_mode: OTAA
DevEui: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
AppEui: 0000000000000000
AppKey: C87EF493EE7A7EA45760DAC3E2AA959D
Class: A
Joined Network:false
IsConfirm: confirm
AdrEnable: true
EnableRepeaterSupport: false
RX2_CHANNEL_FREQUENCY: 923300000, RX2_CHANNEL_DR:8
RX_WINDOW_DURATION: 3000ms
RECEIVE_DELAY_1: 1000ms
RECEIVE_DELAY_2: 2000ms
JOIN_ACCEPT_DELAY_1: 5000ms
JOIN_ACCEPT_DELAY_2: 6000ms
Current Datarate: 3
Primeval Datarate: 3
ChannelsTxPower: 0
UpLinkCounter: 0
DownLinkCounter: 0
ERROR: RUI_AT_LORA_PARAMETER_INVALID 82
OK Sleep

Welcome to RAK forum @mofresh :slight_smile:

Please try to input a value on APPEUI and not all 0.

An all 00’s AppEUI is valid, and recommended by TTNv3. I see this as a bug on the RAKwireless firmware side.

I can confirm this. I just tried to move a RAK 5205 to TTN V3 and followed the documentation provided by TTN:

Enter a JoinEUI/AppEUI if provided by your manufacturer. If your device is programmable, you may use all 0’s, and then program the same JoinEUI/AppEUI in the device.

At the moment I run the latest version of the Firmware: V3.0.0.14.H.R.

When I used the AppEUI the device was operating under the TTN V2 Console the Firmware accepts it. When I use all 0 in the AppEUI I get the same Error:

ERROR: RUI_AT_LORA_PARAMETER_INVALID 82

As far as I can tell, the actual firmware is incompatible with TTN running The Things Stack V3.

It says
you may use all 0’s

It doesn’t say
you MUST use all 0’s

So nothing stops you to set it to 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01.

1 Like

If you need something to create an officially unofficial EUI, use this:

https://descartes.co.uk/CreateEUIKey.html

There is a link at the bottom to the discussion on the TTN forum.

@beegee Gave it a try and it did indeed work.

@nmcc That would have been my next question.

In both situation my next question: Don’t we break something be using “manually” or guessed created EUI?

EDIT: It seems there is the needed background information. Will look into that: DevEUI for non-hardware assigned values - #23 by terrillmoore - End Devices (Nodes) - The Things Network

Thank you very much!

Semtech about the JoinEUI:

When you introduce a new JoinEUI, use the manufacturer’s OUI for the first bytes of the JoinEUI. Consider separate JoinEUIs per frequency band or per brand. There is no problem having multiple JoinEUIs point to the same join server. Do not create a unique JoinEUI per device and do not use a random sequence. If an OUI is not available, use all zeros to indicate that a join server is not available. The intention is to consolidate devices.

Yes, but rarely. It’s the combination of DevEUI & Join/AppEUI that OTAA works off, but at worst you’ll just be blocked from registering an already known combo.

If you have your own server or run Chirpstack on your gateway you can do as you wish, but it makes it harder to migrate devices if they have iffy EUI’s on them.

As you can read on the link, the generator uses the official unofficial “internal network” scheme.

In the land of serious suits, MBAs and supermodel partners, whilst sipping their Pink Daquri’s in the VIP section of the nightclub they assume everyone gets their PA to buy an EUI block from IEEE.

I’m getting close to getting a small block for some projects, but in the meanwhile I can use the DevEUI that the proper vendors like RAK provide and, given my propensity for letting out the magic smoke, I can use the DevEUI’s of the modules I’ve fried as Join/AppEUI’s. But I also have a pile of Microchip EUI64 chips, some get read, the EUI saved in a database, binned and can then be used for whatever I want. Some get used on the board for DevEUI.

So plenty of options.

1 Like

Good spot!

Latest recommendation from LoRa Alliance in TR007 Developing LoRaWAN® Devices v1.0.0 is not to use all zeros anywhere. If you look at who was on the committee you can then ask him why he agreed with one thing in the document and says another thing on the console. :wink:

If you can buy 100,000 chips from Semtech and spend $20,000 a year as a LoRa Alliance contributor you should have enough leverage to sort that one out.

1 Like