RAK 7259 SIM advice

Hello comunity,

I am searching for a SIM card that will be put on RAK7249 for failover of IP. Any recomendation?
What did you do that worked best relation price/service?

Hei @bioshock2k ,

I can share a little bit of my observations. For me a local Telco card, worked fine, as they are pretty cheap as far as monthly fees go and seem to work fine. Now as you are in another location perhaps you can see locally.
Additionally I tested with a Vodafone card, one from Germany (which is not where I live) and it worked fine with roaming, with another local telco.
Now seeing how these are stable, I would say just get one that is tried, true and tested.
Keep one thing in mind though, there is a decent amount of signaling that goes beyond the actual LoRa Packet data that will go through the gateway to the cloud, especially if your Network server is someplace else. In general all received packets will be forwarded even if they are not originating from your nodes, plus you will have de-duplication too. So a lot of overhead really.
So make sure you get something that is heavier on the data as you do not want to have the nasty surprise of signing a contract and finding out it is insufficient.

Regards
Vladislav

1 Like

Thank you for the sharing I will do so as you said.
Since you talked about data being heavier than “expected” could you tell me how much would you spend with X nodes for example?
Or at least how much should I count for in a month basis.

Hei @bioshock2k ,

I knew this question was coming, shot myself in both feet :slight_smile:
Honestly can’t say, never deployed on a large scale, lus it depends on a lot of things, I have a general idea which deployment type will consume more, which less, but the exact values, no.
For example MQTT is lightweight so if you use a broker it will have less overhead. Naturally if you split your node data in several packets, while more robust to interference, it is again more signaling overhead.
But this is just some general stuff, actually I can’t help much with a concrete number.
I suspect @cstratton or @nmcc might have more to say than me.
I know I am definitely interested in some data from a measurement in practice or something.

Regards
Vladislav

1 Like

I figure a busy gateway might see around a gigabyte of backhaul traffic a month

The theoretical limit if the receiver were saturated would be in excess of 10 gigabytes, but that’s just not going to happen by chance.

It’s true that running the network server in the gateway would reduce the backhaul traffic, but that practically limits you to having a single-gateway network; and additionally you end up with the risk that loss/damage/theft of the gateway may mean loss of node OTAA sessions records or ABP secrets; LoRaWan is really designed around the idea that multiple gateways contributing feeds to a server located in the cloud, and really works best that way - plus if something happens to a gateway, the nodes will never notice if there’s another in range or if you deploy a new one.

In theory for a private network you could filter incoming packets and only forward those matching a device ID or join request pattern; in practice, it’s probably not worth the trouble; instead of using the SIM card as “fallback” you may just want to use it as the source of connectivity, greatly simplifying the install.

1 Like

Where in the world are you? This will provide context to the various providers.

What is the signal strength where the gateway is located?

If you do an internet speed test on your mobile, what is the speed & latency of the connection?

Do you have any gateway stats? Uplinks & downlinks.

Can you get a Pay-as-you-go SIM and go & try it - insert SIM, check it’s configuration is OK, pull the Ethernet, watch the logs, if you are happy, leave it to run for as long as you can stand but before the data allowance runs out. This will give you some idea of how long a certain amount of data will last.

Then you’ll have enough information to make an informed decision.

1 Like

Sorry for the trap :joy: Any hints for future knowledge always help even if not exact!
Thank you!

Europe, but seeing the asnwer i will look to providers and talk to them for a pay-as-you go first and then settle.
Also looking for something more world wide if there is any hint.

that is a good question but 4G is the internet i get…therefore i don´t think ill have any issue.

Cough, cough, excuse me whilst I roll about on the floor laughing my socks off.

Availability of 4G speeds are inversely proportional to urban density. That is, where there is a lot of broadband/fibre, there is also high speed mobile internet. And vice versa.

Plus, where there is high speed mobile internet, there are thousands of lazy people using it rather than using their fibre/broadband.

I once had a project go sideways because at 3:35pm every day the mobile internet ground to a halt as all the kids came out of school.

Also, the router may be a dead spot and you may only get 3G (which should be OKish) or even just Edge (latency may be a problem).

There is no substitute for a site survey.

1 Like

Sure sure can´t say anything about that…but again i don´t think density of use will be a issue.
But then again i will do a test speed in the area.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.