RAK2171 WisNode TrackIt Downlink / Command Description

@carlrowan if it’s not a priority internally perhaps think about sharing hardware details to allow users to write alternative firmwares ?

1 Like

I can share the idea to the team, however RAK2171 (made as a closed project - no screws, no modules and test points visible, etc.) will make it a little harder to create a custom firmware. Surely we will share asap if there is a decision to make the hardware design open-source.

True but the gold pins on back that are used for charging don’t allow some serial communication with device ?

There are only three exposed points under RAK2171. Two are surely for charging and the other one can be for 1-wire serial communication. I need to confirm first from our team :+1:

But unlikely we’ll provide further info at the moment (since open-source approach is not yet in place).

Hi @vincen ,

I just confirmed from the team that the 3 contact points under the RAK2171 are just for charging. No available comms possible thru it. My initial idea about one-serial doesn’t exist.

Hi @carlrowan

Thanks a lot for the follow-up although it’s not positive news about gold pins on back of device. Let’s hope Rakwireless management will decide to go open-source on that device or at least release enough info to allow alternative/tweaked firmware for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1
Recently bought RAK2171. Using third party LNS. The GPS datas are sending every one minute and even there is no movement. Looks like the built-in accelerometer is not utilised to find the movement and use the GPS sensor according to the motion. This will lead to dry the battery at the earliest which is not preferable by the end user.

RAK2171 can be utilised properly on multiple usecases only when the firmware is open.

Regards,
Prakash

1 Like

Hi @carlrowan
are there any news regarding a downlink feature to configure GPS and/or intervals?
In the meantime quite some competitors products got released that offer this kind of functionality (most notably Browan Object Locator for my use case).
It would be really beneficial to be able to dynamically control at least the update interval.

Unhappy it doesn’t look to be on schedule at RakWireless so far which is a shame as it could be a really fantastic product being more open and flexible :slight_smile:

To better describe my problem:
My Cat flap already detecs it a fact is inside or outside.
As you can see in this graph, the failing GPS lock, when inside, drains the battery a lot faster than during normal operations outside.
I was on vacation for a few days and set the interval to 15 minutes in hopes it would survive for these days. As you can see the battery barely lasted 3 days with it heavily draining during the nights when the cats were inside the house.
With being able to disable updates/GPS while inside, the battery would have been at around 65% after the 3 days, doubling the amount of days.