RAK2245 Pi HAT crashed after a while and is very hot

Hello,
we installed our first LoRaWan Gateway with the RAK2245 Pi HAT (Firmware: EAK2245&RAK831_based_on_Raspbian_OS_V2.9R_20190627) and an Raspberry PI 3B last week on our desk. We have only one node, a temperature sensor how sends every 15 minutes one telegram. After a while, approximately two or three day the gateway was unreacheable (SSH and Webinterface) anymore. A Ping was possible. A reboot didn’t fix the problem. We used the internal lora-server. The device was installed in a electrical cabinet where the door was open - because of the heat of the module.
First problem: the system crashed after a while and is unreachable any more.
Sencond problem: The system is too hot for the installation in an outdoor elextrical cabinet.

What can we do? We should install the system on Saturday at a customer.

Best regards
Martin

Hi @mhoppe
The Pi itself makes a lot of heat. You can try to stop all LoRaServer instances and check the temperatures again. What is the internal temp of Pi? Did you try to put some cooling fan? What power source is used? Sometimes bad power adapter can make a lot of headaches.

Regards
Todor

Hi Todor,
thanks for your answer. I don’t know the temperature of the PI and I can’t check this, because the system is damaged (I can’t reached it by ssh or web anymore). We didn’t make any tests with a cooling fan. We only user cooling elemets for the pi itselfs.
The power supply is a professional power supply for electrical cabinets (Mean Well DR-15-5)

Best regards
Martin

You have to test with another Pi. We have external gateway based on 831 and we have to put some fan inside the box. It is almost 40 degrees outside! But if you run everything on that Pi you have to set up some cooling. I do not think that 2245 Pi Hat is the reason for Pi overheating. Just test with another Pi with temperature monitoring script.

Now we installed a cooling fan. It seems so that the temperature problem will be fixed. Only 48°C. Now we will make a test for some days again.

Hi @mhoppe

Please give feedback when test is done.

Regards

I’m using a very small 30x30x7mm 0.07A 5V fan for RAK2245 plus PI 3B. That’s enough up to 30°C environment in combination with an open case.
A larger (and louder) 40x40x18mm 5V fan I tested isn’t necessary… I’m waiting for 40x40x7mm 5V (0.1A ?) fans.

Regards
Peter