RAK2245 + TinkerBoardS Support?

Hi,

I got one of this RAK2245 Gateway and I want to know if its possible to make compatible this hat with a SBC like the TinkerBoardS, if there is any documentation or firmware to make a gateway with any 40 GPIO compatible card and this module

Best Regards

Hi @JoseCity

You can refer to this link for the pinout:|
https://doc.rakwireless.com/datasheet/rakproducts/pin-definition-rak2245-pi-hat

From what I can gather it would seem that the headers of the Pi and Tinkerboard are compatible. This should make it possible to power the concentrator and also communicate with the interfaces (UART, SPI). Additionally it seems to have an official Debian release so it should not be a problem to grab Semtech’s packet forwarder and get it working.
This is only theoretical, seems like doable on first look. We have never tested it, that is I haven’t, perhaps someone else on the forums has (staff or a community member )?
This being said would you be interested in having a tutorial for it, perhaps you are planning to test it yourself and are willing to make one?
Please share your thoughts :slight_smile:

Regards
Vladislav

1 Like

I am just setting the RAK2245 up on the Tinker Board S now and came across this thread. In case anyone else is looking for an answer, here is what I did. In the /opt/ttn-gateway/lora_gateway/libloragw/src directory, the loragw_spi.native.c file had to be modified:

1. Change SPI_SPEED to be 1000000
  2. Change SPI_DEV_PATH to be “/dev/spidev2.0”.
  3. The reset_lgw.sh script was modified to use pin 164 to toggle GPIO pin 11. You can specify this on the command line but I just adjusted the script to make things easier.

I still haven’t found how to map the GPS in the concentrator to a /dev device; I am not using multiple gateways anyway. Hopefully, someone can provide some insight there.

Follow up on GPS: The GPS can be found on /dev/ttyS1 but before it will work, you need to set GPIO 238 (pin 33) to an output and toggle a 1 to it. GPIO 185 (pin 35) can remain a GPIO input.

I should also point out that the standard Tinker OS will seg fault when running the packet forwarder. I am using the Armbian Buster (minimal) OS for the Tinker since it has the newer kernel, libraries, and seems to run generally smoother, IMHO.

That’s interesting, you might build with debug information enabled (ie, sneak -g into the compilation command lines) and then run it under gdb.

What are you using as the source repo for the packet forwarder and lora hal? Changing the spi clock makes it sound like you are using a generic one rather than RAK’s version which already has that change, which is completely fine, though if you are going to use a generic one you might want to make that the latest revision directly from Semtech’s github.

For the source repo, I am using gtihub/Lora-net which was found in the install.sh script that came with a RAK2245 dev kit with an RPi 3B+. Where can I find RAK’s version? I downloaded a new RPi image (Rasbian OS_V4.2.4_20200909.img) from the RAKWireless website but the /opt/ttn-gateway directory was empty.

Regarding the seg fault, the OS completely crashes (video still up, but mouse, keyboard, and other I/O siezed). It happens right after getting a firmware version and there is a mismatch. The util_spi_test works fine at 2M. Does seem odd.

That’s the upstream Semtech repository, which is indeed where it makes sense to start for anything unique.

Where can I find RAK’s version?

GitHub - RAKWireless/rak_common_for_gateway but since you already know about the clock speed change, that’s probably only useful for the particular pi installations supported, use of i2c rather than UART gps, etc.

Regarding the seg fault, the OS completely crashes (video still up, but mouse, keyboard, and other I/O siezed). It happens right after getting a firmware version and there is a mismatch.

It would be useful to run it from a serial console, and as mentioned before to do so under gdb.

It could be a problem with SPI support in that particular OS, or I guess in possible some bad code in a failure case in the packet forwarder / LoRa hal that hasn’t been executed often enough to be seen and fixed yet.

We have had issues with Tinker’s SPI interface before and had to bit-bang stuff to an OLED display in a previous project. The current test platform I have has the Armbian OS and is under active development so it will be a little while before I can switch it back to a Tinker OS and debug it some more. The unit is headless so I am ssh’ing into it. I will let you know what I find out…

Hi everyone!
Guys, I have a good experience with installation rak2245 and rak2287 on tinkerboard and tinkerboard 2.
If you need my help you can write me in private message.

Hi Druidlance,

Please help me for Tinker Boards thank you in advance.

hey man i have problem with tinkeboard and rak2245. can you help me?