RAK3172 multi region support

Please include the following information, in order for us to help you as effectively as possible.

• What product do you wish to discuss? RAK4631, RAK3372, RAK11200, RAK11310, RAK11722?
    RAK3172

• What firmware are you using? (RUI3 or Arduino BSP or other IDE (e.g. STM32CubeIDE)?
    RUI3

We are currently using RAK3172 module for the US market.
If we were to use the RAK3172 module for a different region like Japan, India do we need to order RAK3172 module specific for those regions or can we use the US modules we have in stock and configure the region on them?

Is there any region specific radio side hardware in these modules?

Hi @adityakoparkar ,

RAK3172 share common hardware for 8xx-9xx Mhz range. So basically you can use US915 device to AS923 or IN865. This functionality can be adjusted via firmware. However, you must consider the frequency band supported by your antenna. Some antennas cover 8xx-9xx range but mostly are specifically tuned to either 8xx or 9xx Mhz (likely for optimum performance).

RAK3172 has separate hardware for 4xx regional band.

Hi, just want to clarify something on this topic. I’m looking at the rak11720, which has four versions on the product page:

Can the RAK11720-8-SM-I and RAK11720-9-SM-I be configured for any region too? ie with the exception of the antenna i can use the RAK11720-8-SM-I core for 900mhz signals right?

Welcome to the forum @sabith-atlaslabs

Beside of the antenna, 8xxMHz and 9xxMHz variants are the same hardware and you can setup any 8xx and 9xx MHz LoRaWAN regions.

The difference between IPEX and NON-IPEX variants is that the IPEX variants have and Ipex antenna connector on the stamp module. The NON-IPEX variants require you to connect an antenna to the RF pads of the stamp module.

Thanks @beegee

That’s all I wanted to know. I was pretty confused because of this sentence from the documentation: