RAK3172-SIP Develop with Stm32 cube, can't join network

Please Help. I want to develop code for RAK3172-Sip using ST32cubide and have followed the guidelines from the RAK3172 Module Low-Level Development Reference with STM32Cube_FW_WL_V1.2.0 When following the steps, I found that I could compile successfully, but encountered an issue where I couldn’t join with the gateway.

You are using AS923-1? At least the frequencies in your log suggest it.
Is your gateway and LoRaWAN server setup for AS923-1 as well?
Did you double check that DevEUI, AppEUI /JoinEUI and AppKey are correct setup in the LoRaWAN server?
Do you see any packets in the gateway logs?
Do you see any messages in the LoRaWAN server logs?

If it is nothing of the above, then you have to wait for an STM32CubeIDE expert to help.

Thank you,beegee. I have tested comparing with the source STM32Cube_FW_WL_V1.2.0 before modifying. It can join, but I found that the RSSI value is -101 even though it is placed on the table not more than 20 cm away. When compared with using the Rak firmware + AT command, the RSSI is around -30 to -35. I think this issue might be related to hardware pins. However, when using radio_board_if.c, radio_board_if.h, radio_conf.h, and startup_stm32wle5ccux.s according to the guideline, I found that it still cannot join.

Hi @nakorn ,

The RAK3172 and RAK3172-SiP have different RF frontend.

Please refer on these radio files for RAK3172-SiP

RAK3172_SIP_radiofiles.zip (4.6 KB)

1 Like

Thank you, carlrowan. It works now. By using some define and source code RAK3172_SIP_radifiles.zip to modify the original. this is my modified source code. GitHub - echo01/Rak3172-sip-low-level-develop-code

Hi @carlrowan and @nakorn
I’m in the same situation but I’m trying to build ping pong example. Just a question in the documentation here it said :

On \STM32Cube_FW_WL_V1.2.0\Projects\NUCLEO-WL55JC\Applications\LoRaWAN\LoRaWAN_End_Node\Core\Inc\platform.h, you need to comment out #define USE_BSP_DRIVER. It should be //#define USE_BSP_DRIVER.

But on your repo @nakorn you don’t comment this line, should I follow the docuementation and comment out this line or not ?

Welcome to RAK forum @simon884 ,

I cannot recall exactly the reason but I believe I have compilation issues if I do not comment out that macro (I do not really use STM32Cube IDE as a daily IDE since we have RUI3. But I explored it to support some customers).

We can wait for @nakorn to give his feedback.

Hi @simon. You don’t need to comment out #define USE_BSP_DRIVER. First Conduct the project by following the document from this link: RAK3172 Module Low Level Development Reference | RAKwireless Documentation Center. After that make change RF_SW_CTRL1_PIN and RF_SW_CTRL2_PIN in file stm32wlxx_nucleo_radio.h. Please see a detail in git.
For more understanding, see RF Switch Control Table in this link RAK3172-SiP WisDuo LPWAN SiP Application Note | RAKwireless Documentation Center. I hope this can help you.

First of all thanks a lot @nakorn and @carlrowan for your help.
I’ll try to follow your advices. So if I understand well @nakorn, you had just update the original stm32wlxx_nucleo_radio.h file, but you didn’t replace 2 other files coming from from RAK3172_SIP_radifiles.zip ?

I’ll keep you in touch if I can succesful use ping pong example with rak3172-sip

yes, I don’t replace all files from RAK3172_SIP_radifiles.zip. Additionally, I modify a source in stm32wlxx_nucleo_radio.c also.

Also @simon884 ,

I am not sure what version of the SDK you are using but as far as I remember in V1.3.0, commenting out USE_BSP_DRIVER is not necessary. Only on V1.2.0.

Thanks @nakorn I’ve followed your advices but I got an error when I’m trying to compile. I think I’ve found the issue, in my projet I’ve replaced radio_board_if.c, radio_board_if.h, and radio_conf, but if I look in your git repo, you don’t have replaced these files, in radio_board_if.c I don’t see #if defined(RAK3172_RF_CHANNEL_SWITCH), should I not replaced these 3 files also?
For my project I’ve replaced all Drivers/BSP/STM32WLxx_Nucleo folder by your git STM32WLxx_Nucleo folder

Yes @carlrowan with v1.3.0 comment out is not necessery