RAK3172 + STM32CubeIDE + AN5406

Hi,

We are very new to STM32 and also RAK3172.
Just to have an hands-on-experience we started with AN5406 application note (LoRaWAN_End_Node).

We wish to know that can we use LoRaWAN_FUOTA (AN5554) for RAK3172?
If so what steps do we have to follow? Is it similar to as specified in AN5406?

Request you to please guide us on the same.

Regards,

Dinesh

Welcome to RAK forum @dinesh ,

LoRaWAN FUOTA requires implementation on the LoRaWAN Network Server side as well not just on the End-device. So you also need to secure FUOTA functionality on the Network Server.

We are doing FUOTA development in our RUI3 at the moment. No plan of release date yet. This can simplify things with regards to FUOTA.

For the AN5554, the STM32WL LoRaWAN_FUOTA is supposed to be supported by Actility. You can probably have a look and try rak3172 with it.

1 Like

Hi Carlrowan,

Thanks for your quick reply.
As far as end-device is concerned can we follow steps given in AN5406 (radio files and startup file update) for RAK3172 just to add FUOTA code snippets in end-device?

As FUOTA is one of most important part of device we are looking for solution for the same.
So if RAk3172 has not FUOTA support yet, can you please suggest other module which is having FUOTA support (if any)? Please note that we are yet to start development.

Regards,

Dinesh

Hi @dinesh ,

You can try the FUOTA implementation of STM32WL SDK from ST. We provided the necessary radio source files to update to RAK3172 to be compatible but I haven’t tried the FUOTA of STM32 myself.

We have no module yet that supports LoRaWAN FUOTA based on our RUI3.

If you want to do FUOTA now, maybe the fastest way is to start with STM32WL Nucleo Board and run FUOTA code directly into it then use the Actility backend. That’s the network server used by STM32WL team to do their FUOTA.

Btw, our FUOTA shouldn’t be too far to be released but I can’t say any date at the moment.

1 Like

Hi Carlrowan,

Can you please share updates on FUOTA?
Have you released it? If no then is there any timeframe.

Regards,

Dinesh

Hi @dinesh ,

FUOTA is still on-going in development. But there still no commitment on what release it will be included.

Hi All,
I am working with RAK3172, and i would like to deploy FUOTA, on the network server side i will implement Actility or ChipStack, but i would like to know if there is Hardware requirements in the RAK3172 side, in Firmware side i checked how to implement it with ST modules.

Regards

Welcome to RAK forum @rodpaj ,

RAK3172 is based on RUI3 firmware which take up memory space. Because of this, it is more tricky for us to deploy it on RAK3172 soon. We will start with RAK4630 when it comes to FUOTA.

As for anything hardware related, I am not aware of any restrictions other than that about the memory usage.

1 Like