RAK4270 Configuration Saved in Flash, EEPROM or RAM?

Hello,

I’m working with the RAK4270 for a new product and I couldn’t find anywhere in the documentation details about which Configuration Parameters are saved/persisted in internal Flash/EEPROM and which ones are only stored at RAM/Volatile?

My question is regarding the potential issues to keep re-configuring parameters that are actually stored in Flash or EEPROM which could cause memory write wearing if done too many times.

Should I worry about this? If yes, where can I get more information for the parameters that are persisted?

Thanks!

Hello @Wisen

The parameters are stored in the MCU internal 6Kbye EEPROM which is specified for a 100.000 write/erase cycles when used in a temperature range of -40°C to 105 °C.

So you can change your parameters at least 100.000 times before the EEPROM might wear out. The 100.000 cycles given from the data sheet are MIN values. So chances are you can write/erase many more times.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was planning to use “confirmed message” only for some of the application uplinks but as this means changing the configuration quite often I don’t see this happening.

Do you have any suggestions?

Hi Mike,

I have two possible ideas.

1. make all packets confirmed and ignore missing ACK on messages you do not need it.
  2. custom firmware on RAK4270 made with our RUI API. Getting Started | RAKwireless Documentation Center

Not sure if 2) offers a function to send a packet with/without Confirm without saving the setting in EEPROM. I am not an expert with RUI.