RAK4270 DR Settings and Power Level Settings

By default theRAM4270 is shipped with Channel TX Power = 0 and DR = 5

When monitoring the Transmit Power of the RAK4270 it is over 100mA (at 3.3V) and but ADR downlinks from the server bring this down to 70mA after 60 or so uplinks

This is performed without any MCU host intervention.

Other Lora Sensors that we have looked at have a much lower Transmit Power (approx 35mA) with the same LORA Server (same distance from the LORA Server)

Can the Host MCU simply change the TX Power Setting in the RAK4270 to reduce the Transmit Power or should this be reduced along with the DR setting ?

Should the LORA sensor start with a lower transmit power setting and then increase the transmit power if the Join Request is not successful ?

If the LORA sensor does not get a successful Join Request when on Maximum power what if the best action to perform ?

Thank You all again

KR

Paul

Generally the Network Server ADR implementations increase the DR until it can’t be changed further and then change the power level - the first priority is to reduce airtime for the benefit of all.

There is less focus on the power level and more on the DR. In theory you could come up with a Join scheme that starts on something suitable for the deployment, say DR4 and quickly escalate it down to DR0 if no join accept is heard. But I think you’d have to get in to using the RUI development environment to have that level of control.

You can also turn off ADR once you have a join & look at the downlink RSSI & SNR to do your own ADR tuning. Or leave it on but have a verification scheme of which I’ve written about on the TTN forum - which in summary is something like every fortnight do a confirmed uplink to check everything is OK and on the other week anticipate a downlink message from your application. If neither of these occurs, then turn off ADR, reduce the DR each time you uplink with confirmed on until you get a response, if you hit DR0 then after a couple of times do a join, if no join-accept wake up at random intervals to try to see it the gateway has come back or if it was IOT Armageddon.

For joining, you will use max TX power. This is fine since you will only join once (ideally) on your device lifetime. On the succeeding uplinks, if you turn on ADR, then the device will adapt based on the network server command. If you want control on the TX power, you have to turn off ADR and control the TX power after a successful join.

Hello Carl , Nick

I have been checking the TX_Power command on the RAK4270 and there may be a problem

IsConfirm: unconfirm
AdrEnable: false
EnableRepeaterSupport: false
RX2_CHANNEL_FREQUENCY: 869525000, RX2_CHANNEL_DR:0
RX_WINDOW_DURATION: 3000ms
RECEIVE_DELAY_1: 1000ms
RECEIVE_DELAY_2: 2000ms
JOIN_ACCEPT_DELAY_1: 5000ms
JOIN_ACCEPT_DELAY_2: 6000ms
Current Datarate: 5
Primeval Datarate: 5
ChannelsTxPower: 0

TxPower = 0 - The RAK4270 Transmit Current is 100mA

IsConfirm: unconfirm
AdrEnable: false
Primeval Datarate: 5
ChannelsTxPower: 5

TxPower = 5 - The RAK4270 Transmit Current is 100mA (same as above)

OK - The above shows that with ADR OFF changing TXPower from 0 to 5 make no difference to the Transmit current !!

Setting the DR=0 shows a longer transmit time (as expected)

The “competitor” (Non RAK) but in the same position and similar antenna
Much Lower Transmit Current - Approx 27mA

Comments Please

Don’t be shy, it’s hard to compare varieties of Apples if it turns out one Apple is actually an Orange.

But yes, something to look in to.

This does seem at odds with the spec:

https://docs.rakwireless.com/Product-Categories/WisDuo/RAK4270-Module/Datasheet/#specifications

Which says TX Mode is 35.4mA @ 1 dBm SF7 868Mhz which would be a bit tricky to reach given that TX Power 7 is MaxEIRP - 14dB = 2dB …

Maybe @beegee could wield his magic power monitor / multimeter?

For this one I have to ask our R&D guys to get an explanation.

I know there is a newer RAK4270 firmware coming with some bug fixes, but I have no availability date. I will try to get it for testing.

1 Like

Hi Beegee

Thanks for your help. We will be Lora solutions based on the RAK4270.

I guess we will need to wait until this has been investigated

KR
Paul
GO-IOT

Comparative Tests using the RAK7204 (using the RAK811) using the same position , antenna , Lora Gateway etc

I tested the Transmit Power this morning

RAK4270 - TX Current (as detailed before) - Approx 100mA
RAK7204 - TX Current Approx 52mA (After ADR Approx 42mA)

I think (newbie) that this shows a definite firmware problem somewhere !

Work Mode: LoRaWAN
Region: EU868
Class: A
Joined Network:true
IsConfirm: false
AdrEnable: true
Primeval Datarate: 0
ChannelsTxPower: 7 (Changing the TxPower made no difference)
UpLinkCounter: 120
DownLinkCounter: 8765

Thank You
KR
Paul

Hi Paul,

This is not yet the final FW and the team is still doing some validation test. Doing good so far. You can evaluate this. Soon a new FW will be uploaded in our download site. The changelog is also here.