RAK4630 from WisBlock kit not recognized

Unfortunately as soon as I unplug WisBlock from USB USB Serial Device driver (COM7) disappears only to appear again when I plug in the board and click the microswitch twice. I figured that I have deleted the driver when the board was plugged in, then pulled out, plugged back, nothing changed, again when I clicked microswitch twice the same USB USB Serial Device driver (COM7) appeared. So I tried to manually update it, but I have no idea to what I should update it. I have googled extensively what *.inf file to use here, but could not find anything that could make it work.

This might also be interesting, thank you in advance for checking it out:

Can someone please share with me the right version to use for usbser.sys?

That is exactly the driver version that worked for me without any problems.

Do you have another computer to test?

I don’t think there is any problem with the RAK4631, as you can connect and upload code in UF2 mode.

SOLVED

TLDR: Bootloader with date 30th Nov 2021 fixed my problem. Bootloader with date 1st Dec 2021 seemed to have been the root cause.

Longer explanation:
So we have tried at a friend’s Win 10, error symptoms were the same.
Then we tried in his Macbook, error symptoms again the same.
Then he had the idea to upgrade bootloader, somehow from Latest folder he picked the 30th NOV 2021 version by accident I think, which I thought was wrong not to use the newest version. Then after trying again to unplug - plug in we realized recognition by Windows 10 worked perfectly producing the recognition sound.

The 1st Dec 2021 version seemed to have caused the Win 10 not recognizing the Wisblock 4631 when USB got plugged in. I have found it in this folder: WisBlock/bootloader/RAK4630/Latest at master · RAKWireless/WisBlock · GitHub

I also have to mention the boards have arrived already installed with the 1st Dec 2021 bootloader and initially they were working, just after some time I had the issue of not being recognized in Win 10.

Thank You Beegee very much for providing support and replying so fast.

@gaborgluck

I am glad you found a solution.

If it is not too much, I want to ask you for another test.
Now that your Win 10 has recognized the WisBlock, if you flash the Dec 2021 bootloader again, does it still recognize the WisBlock? I want to push your problem to the R&D team to have a look into it. The latest bootloader from December works fine for me, but if there are problems, we should fix them.

Hi Beegee, sure, I am going to post here as soon as I have the result.

After pushing Dec 2021 bootloader again Windows 10 recognized Wisblock. Could not reproduce the issue anymore.

But now it started such problem that it starts in DFU mode when plugged in, resetted, after laptop restarted… whatever I do…

The Upgrade of Latest is actually the “nov 30” compiled bootloader, which is somewhat misleading in my opinion:

Also I suggest to update (or take down) Google 1st result references to “new bootloader” which actually lead to a currently 10 months old one: https://github.com/RAKWireless/WisBlock/tree/0093b9b5d7ec3c32c3fe3550b797fe364582b083/bootloader/RAK4630

Also I would greatly appreciate a documentation for Wisblock Upgrade Tool version 1.0.1 https://github.com/RAKWireless/WisBlock/tree/58ed5e530658a4be522dffad0bb960a781cee7ec/bootloader/RAK4630/Latest/WisCore_RAK4631_Upgrade where the “bat” file has option to “ugprade app”, which I could not find any mentioning anywhere what is its effect and what app is meant. To me it does not speak for itself. I guess it is probably not mobile app… If it exists somewhere and I have missed it, then sorry. I make these remarks in good faith that the maker community and RAK is profiting from them.

Hello Gabor,

Your problems are really strange, I have 10 RAK4631 here with the new bootloader and they all work fine on my Win 10 laptop. Same for other members of the support team.
I will check back with the R&D teams.

For Google, there is nothing we can do.

For the upgrade batch file, that should actually not be there at all. It is what is used by our R&D guys and has some local links in it. I will remove that part.