RAK4631 FCC Antenna Options

Hello,

I am developing an application for the RAK4630 module. My PCB connects the LORA antenna pad directly to a SMA connector. Reviewing the FCC certification, I can see the testing setup used a 3.0dBi antenna. I would appreciate some help with the regulations of the FCC certificate. Hopefully I’m misinterpreting, but the wording would lead me to believe the certification only covers the antenna used during the test.

It would be much appreciated if someone with a little more knowledge of the certification help with the antenna options.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum @Zander

You are correct, the FCC certification is only valid with the antenna used for the certification.

The antenna used is our Blade antenna

However, you can do a re-certification with your specific antenna. It cost less than a full certification.

Thanks @beegee for the quick response!

Note, I see the RAK blade antenna has a dBi of either 2.3/2.8 for 915MHz/868MHz respectively. In the FCC document the antenna is mentioned to have a 3.0dBi. Just double checking which antenna was used for the certification.

Thank you!

I found the antenna, but we do not have them anymore in sale.
3dBi SubG Antenna

It is sold out since more than two years. I do not have information about the supplier of this antenna. Trying to find out, but it will be difficult.

Thank you! Much appreciated!

Good morning,

Here in Brazil we have vendors that they have outdoor directional antennas for LoRa.

RAK has a Type N to Ipex adapter. Take a look in my photo: LoRa and GNSS adapters

I hope that it helps.

Regards,

Claudio

Good morning Claudio,

Thanks for the comment. Do you know if your vendors had new certifications done with these antennas? I’m not sure of the exact regulations in Brazil.

We have been researching the FCC antenna regulations. It appears an antenna of the same type with lower gain can be used. By complying with the RAK4630 FCC certification we can greatly reduce the cost of certifying our board (from 15k to 2k), as it will only need to be tested as an unintentional radiator (ISED & FCC). We will be reaching out to local labs to verify before proceeding.

Below is one of the my sources to come to this conclusion:

Any antenna that is of the same type and of equal or less directional gain as an antenna that is authorized with the intentional radiator may be marketed with, and used with, that intentional radiator. No retesting of this system configuration is required. The marketing or use of a system configuration that employs an antenna of a different type, or that operates at a higher gain, than the antenna authorized with the intentional radiator is not permitted unless the procedures specified in § 2.1043 of this chapter are followed.

@beegee the antenna data sheet used for the certification would be greatly appreciated to have for our records and confirm our selected antenna will not void the FCC certification.

Thanks!

Hi @Zander

Our production could not provide me with manufacturer or part number for the old 3dBi antenna.

But according to our R&D team, if you use the 2.3dBi Blade antenna the certification is still valid as the gain of this antenna is lower.

Hi @beegee

Thanks for checking! Yes, that’s the same conclusion I’d come to. Currently have a lab working on a ISED certification.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.