RAK5146 with IOT2040 not working

Hi,

I’m trying to use the RAK5146 - USB on a IOT2040 from Siemens, but the hardware don’t is recognised by the operation system.
But if I use the RAK2247 - USB, it works well.
I was hopping that the RAK5146 - USB got the same behaviour.

After doing some reading, I found that the RAK5146 have a reset pin (PIN22), that need to be pulled down. So I shunt the PIN22 with PIN18 (GND), and give a try. But unfortunately it didn’t work.
The other option is using the pcie to usb converter, but for now this option it 's not good for us.

Any help is appreciated.

Cumps,

Hello @lsantos,
What software are you using to run RAK5146?
RAK5146 uses different hal as the lora chip is different.

Reset pin should not be the problem here as you are using USB variant and not SPI.

Best Regards

Hi,

For RAK5146 - USB variant, I’m using sx1302_hal (https://github.com/Lora-net/sx1302_hal)

Cumps,

Could you issue a command “ls usb” to see if the system is detecting the device?
Also what OS are you using for the IOT2040?

When I issue the command lsusb, the concentration don’t appear.
The IOT2040 use Yocto was OS.
I also test on my laptop (Runing Debian) and on IOT2050 (Running Debian), and the results are the same.

Cumps,

Hello @lsantos,
It really looks like you are using SPI instead of the USB version, so once again check if your concentrator is USB. With RAK5146 you should see the device on USB (for USB versions of course), even before installing and running the software.
Also please DM me and give me the order number from your purchase.

Best Regards

The sticker on devices say RAK5146 USB.
I attache a photo.

I will send you a DM.

Cumps,

We had similar issue with OnLogic (x86) PC and RAK5146 USB. The reality is that RAKwireless cards are not mini-PCIe standard compliant, but each card has its own “quirks”. RAK5146 required us to mask the PIN13 with PVC tape (BIG THANKS for RAKsupport). After masking the PIN13 the card showed up normally in /dev.

Also, RAK cards are missing proper PCIe Vendor ID making it hard to auto-detect the hardware :man_facepalming:

That would be because they enumerate as USB devices, not as PCIe devices