RAK5205 OTAA fail

hi @kastayou,

Oh boy. We did not expect this. Honestly we have no experience with anything other than TTN or LoRaServer as those are the only solutions that we know of that are worldwide and free.
There has to be something with the join procedure that is different in France than what we are familiar with.
I would expect that you have no problems with an ABP setup, right?
This is so strange, the join request response timing windows should be standardized and there should be no issues.
Perhaps you can provide us with a bit more information about the Objenious network, maybe we get an idea of what might be going wrong.
I assume there are no such issues with other nodes you have used?

Regards
Vladislav

I had issues with a node from another supplier on the objenious network:

If I well remember my discussions with Objenious, the OTAA accept is sent on the RX2 window.

But I have successfuly used RAK811 tracker and 2 RAK5205 on the objenious network without any trouble.

Yes, however the windows length in time is different, so it is not exactly the standard RX2.
It is a bit different and I think it might be the issue. Not sure thought, we are not giving up we will think of something to try to find the problem, might take time though

Hello,
I was mistaken with this trouble, finally all the last firmware versions (2.0.0.6, 2.0.1.8, 2.0.1.9) work when it is compiled with Keil!
But I usually compile it with Ac6 Open STM32 and the code generated don’t behave the same way.
What happens is that the MCU reboots during initialization and after.
Also, there are all this weird characters appearing after “BME680 init success!” and I tried to disable some external sensors (GPS, LIS3DH, BME680) in “BoardInitPeriph()”, but the only combination that worrks (join success and uplinks) was :

• None : OK
  • LIS3DH alone : OK
    That is very strange:)

Here are the debug infos :

RAK5205_TrackerBoard software version:2.0.1.9
LIS3DH init success!
ACC X:-16mg Y:448mg Z:-688mg
BME680 init success!
T: degC, P: hPa, H %rH ¿ùýû ÿ×o€ûÿ_ˆÿþÿÿÿÿoßûÿßÿ RAK5205_TrackerBoard software version:2.0.1.9
LIS3DH init success!
ACC X:0mg Y:32mg Z:16mg
BME680 init success!
T: degC, P: hPa, H %rH 3ÿßÿH€I>î×ÿùíÿþ€@¡ÿoýÕ@a…þþþÿ @ÿ÷Ïý ÛÿH–ý î~ý!ÿûConfiguration OK!
app_interval = 10
gps_stime = 60
msg_confirm = 0
power_save = 0
Selected LoraWAN 1.0.2 Region: EU868
Board Initialization OK!

OTAA mode:
DevEui: 007CDD19C3F7XXXX
AppEui: 70B3D57ED001XXXX
AppKey: 0780234B54677AB13E80CE19B334XXXX
OTAA Join Start…
latitude: , longitude: , altitude: 0 ;
ACC X:-224mg Y:16mg Z:-144mg
OTAA Join Success!
latitude: , longitude: , altitudeGps: 186m
a=ÿÿßýˆÏÿ}õt÷¿ÿï[¿Þÿ@BRûÿ÷ÿ€@Pþÿÿ½ûÿ¿ÿpï~ÿE¿ÿÿÿþÿ{íBÿÿÿÿd#ßÿÿÿ€@ï¿þß~ïÿõÿõúßþÞÿÿíë÷ÿ€A€RAK5205_TrackerBoard software version:2.0.1.9
LIS3DH init success!
ACC X:-16mg Y:0mg Z:0mg
BME680 init success!
T: degC, P: hPa, H %rH eÿßÿH€I>î×ÿíþ€@¡ÿoýÕ@a…þþþÿ @ÿ÷Ïý î‘¿ý×Y ï¿ÿûîþýÿ÷@_÷oþÿ RAK5205_TrackerBoard software version:2.0.1.9
LIS3DH init success!
ACC X:0mg Y:0mg Z:0mg
BME680 init success!
T: degC, P: hPa, H %rH ñÿÿÿ3ÿ0†ÿûîÀïÿ׿ÿB²ŸÏß{ RõÏêw RAK5205_TrackerBoard software version:2.0.1.9
LIS3DH init success!
ACC X:0mg Y:-32mg Z:0mg
BME680 init success!
T: degC, P: hPa, H %rH 3ÿßÿH€I>î×ÿ€@¡ÿoýÕ@a…þþþÿ @ÿ÷Ïý H–ý Configuration OK!
app_interval = 10
gps_stime = 60
msg_confirm = 0
power_save = 0
Selected LoraWAN 1.0.2 Region: EU868
Board Initialization OK!

OTAA mode:
DevEui: 007CDD19C3F7XXXX
AppEui: 70B3D57ED001XXXX
AppKey: 0780234B54677AB13E80CE19B334XXXX
OTAA Join Start…

Why not use the precompiled firmware. It should work

Yes, it works, but I need to make some changes in the payload format (LPP doesn’t seem to accept uint32 format) and I need to add some functionalities that doesn’t exist in precompiled firmware (hour engine counter from GPIO).
Also, I don’t have Keil compiler that is too much expensive for just one project, so I try to use AC6 STM32 free tools.
The compilation works with old firmware (1.1.3) but not since 2.x.x.x, so I try to add my functionalities in this old version without the benefit of new firmware:).
Hopping someone could help to find what is going wrong …