RAK5205 physical hardware

Hi all, I am new to LoRaWAN and planning to make a project on LoRaWAN using RAK5205 which will sense temperature and humidity including GPS location. My question which all physical hardware I will require. Will I require a physical gateway?

You need RAK5205 and RAK LoRa Gateway.

Can you suggest which RAK LoRa Gateway can be used or is it possible to use Raspberry Pi 3 as a gateway?

Hi @james_kakes,

Either one of the below Gateways will do:
For Indoor:

RAK7243C

RAK7258

For Outdoor:

RAK7249

In short:
RAK7258 - Open WRT, cheap and easy to install and start using. Works with TTN, Built-in LoRa Server or your own separately hosted LoRa Server. Feature rich out of the box

RAK7243 - similar to RAK7258, cheap, also works with TTN and has a Built-in and separated LoRa Server as an option. Based on Raspberry Pi (Raspbian). Less feature rich out of the box, but allows for unlimited customization.

RAK7249 - this is RAK7258 on STEROIDS. IP67 weatherproof, options for dual LoRa Concentrators for double the channels (up to 16), 5dBi antenna out of the box, mounting kit, GPS, optional solar panel and battery field kit, etc, etc. This is the beast with the most configuration options and accessories. You get this guy when you want stable performance in any condition, great range and unlimited connectivity options.

Let me know if you need any more help choosing.

Regards
Vladislav

Would using RAK2245 Pi HAT Edition (Gateway) with RAK5205 help?

Hi @james_kakes,

Help with what? I gave you 3 good options for a Gateway. As @Fomi explained you can pair the RAK5205 with any of those.
Does this answer your question?
If not can you elaborate further.

Regards
Vladislav

I want to make an outdoor gateway and RAK 7249 is very costly so, is it possible that I can put RAK 2245 Pi HAT edition on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and use RAK 5205 as a node?
Need help in choosing a compatible hardware.

Hi @james_kakes,

The RAK7243 and RAK7258 are cheaper. You can get one of them.
The RAK7243 is actually a RAK2245 with a Raspberry Pi.

Regards
Vladislav

One detail to this:

There is a LoRa and a LoRa-4G version. The package already contains a Raspberry Pi. The LoRa board is the RAK2245. The 4G addition is another board that you connect between the RPi and the RAK2245.

So depending on what you need, the first one is enough if you have ethernet or WiFi in range. Completely remote, you might want to add 4G.

Regards,
Bastiaan

Hi @bastiaanslee,

You exactly right.
Both RAK7243 and RAK7258 have this option either get them with Wi-Fi, Ethernet only, or get them with LTE in addition to the aforementioned two. The purpose is as you stated depending on what you need.

Regards
Vladislav