RAK5205 two weeks of test: some questions/problems

I bought one RAK5205 in the enclosure in the The Thing Conference at Amsterdam. I am testing for couple of weeks. Some impressions:

• I am not sure if the root cause is the GPS internal antenna, but with box stopped at same place the GPS is showing differents positions with, sometimes more than 200m of diferences between location points
  • At night, after a sunny day, I mean sun enough in the solar panel to charge a LiPo 1100mAh battery, the battery charge don´t support the operations more than 3 hours. In the next day after the sun back to solar panel, the box don´t turn on automatically. What I know about LiPo that they should operate under 3.0V if you want a good battery life.
  • I am using TTN with Cayenne integration and I can´t find the battery charge level information or something related to battery.

I think that RAK is making their products better day-by-day. My suggestion is a better and clear manuals and a better logic distribution of the content in the Github. I am still looking for the payload documentation.

Could you help me to clarify my doubts?

Cláudio

Hi, @crmrosa

Can you take a photo for your RAK5205 device and upload it here? I want to confirm about its antenna.
Thank you!

These are the photos:

Hi, @crmrosa

Please check this tutorial for the payload format.

Fomi Tong,

Do we have any documentation about the RAK5205 payload format?

I found the Battery Level at Cayenne payload format as “analog value”. I understood and I rename it to Battery Level :blush:

I would like to thank by your support.

Claudio

And about the GPS antenna that you ask me a Picture?

Yes.
There is a document for payload RAK5205 format.
http://docs.rakwireless.com/en/LoRa/WisTrio-LoRa-RAK5205/Application_Notes/How_to_analysis_the_data_sending_from_RAK5205.pdf

About GPS antenna picture, we’re checking.

We’re experiencing the same problem with our devices, we tried swapping Wistrio’s GPS Antenna with RAK LoRa Tracker and we have the same result, there’s a difference of 200-400 meters.

@CGMisola can you tell us the firmware version ?

Hi Steven,

We tried both RAK811_HF_trackerboard_V2.0.0.6 and RAK811_HF_trackerboard_V2.0.0.7, still the same result. I’ve seen that there’s a new version V2.0.1.8, we’ll try it later and give you a feedback.

Hello Misola,
We tested 4pcs of RAK5205 and found that the GPS data read by each product in the same position were different .
We have fed back the problem to FAE of ublox to solve.

@CGMisola We have test rak5205 in our side .
we have 4 pcs rak5205 as test sample . and use the same firmware and read the gps data 10times for each one .
and we use the first one as the sample . others will caculate the distance . the max range is 25.34meters . please check .

Hi,

Last week I upgrade the firmware to V2.0.1.8. Two new fields are added in the Cayenne LPP. They are shown in the application as “Analog values”. What is the meaning of them?

Could you help me?

Hi @crmrosa
Channel 8 is speed from the GPS and channel 9 is the air quality from the bme sensor. LPP format don’t have data type for them. You have to manually name them and choose what widgets to use.
Regards

1 Like

@velev

i am doing a batery indoor charging, and this is the reason that you are not seeing GPS value now, but it is using channel 1. But channel 8 and 9 are other thing that I don´t know yet.

Take a look in the my screenshot below:

Dear @crmrosa,

As @velev mentiond in his comment:

1. Channel 8 is the Speed data (Based on the GPS readings, which is why you have 0 value in your screenshot)
  2. Channel 9 is the Air quality data (24.1 in your case)

Those are represented as general Analog Inputs, because LPP limitations. There is no LPP class for those types of data (unlike the temperature, GPS coordinates, etc.) This is a limitation of the LPP as a data format, it has nothing to do with RAK5205, at least to my understanding. For this reason you need to manually rename Channel 8 to Speed and Channel 9 to Air Quality for example and select a widget that would suit your needs as far as representation goes.
I hope this makes things clear.

Regards

Vladislav

Agree. Do you know what is the speed unit and air quality unit?

My recomendation to RAK is develop a profile for RAK5205 for Cayenne. I have a Laird RS1xx for humidity and temperature measurement and the registration processo is plug and play because the profile is already registered.

Hi @crmrosa,

Speed is in km/h.
The air quality is an index (Air Quality Index - AQI), you can find more information about the scaling in the link:

As for the Cayenne integration, I agree it would be nice, however it is not my place to say if it is possible, as I am not responsible for such things :slight_smile:

Regards
Vladislav

Thank you very much by your help!

1 Like

Hi Fomi, please help me the link is down, I want to read about the analysis