RAK7205 I can't activate boot mode. Jumper missing?

Hello guys,

I am new here and this is my first interaction with with microelectronics. I have to write and complete my dissertation as environmental engineer and I would like to try to connect a sensor to IoT. I bought a RAK7205 and it wasn’t cheap at all for me, but I saw this as a good investment. At first I was surprised that all parts were assembled, I thought they would come in different parts.

I checked and read all the manuals on /RAK7205-Tracker/Application_Notes, I installed the /Tools on my windows. But not matter what I tried to find, or random tries I did, I am not able to activate the boot mode. I get the usual errors like on STM32 “Error: Activating device: KO. Please, verify the boot mode configuration and check the serial port configuration. Reset your device then try again…”

And the reason seems obvious, there isn’t a second jumper to jump the “BOOT” pin and “VDD” pin! Is there other way? I don’t think so, but what am supposed to do. :confused: I paid 120 euros for this and I thought I would have all I need to set it up and make it work.

– Is there something I don’t see? All 7205 nodes ship like that or a worker forgot to add more jumper to mine. Living in a small village and have no knowledge where to find one of these pains my heart atm. On web I found mostly jumper wires cables, but probably are not what I need here. Also I found these 500 kits on ebay with the ones I need, but why should i buy 500 wire jumper since I need just one…

Once more, is there something I don’t see? Is there other way to start the boot mode? Should I do anything before that step?

(also, the cable of the solar panel has been squeezed, maybe by the worker while he was closing the case probably, https://i.imgur.com/4ePKV6P.png . I really want check if it works or not, if not I’ll send it back to the shop for a change.)

Regards,
Theodoros

Hi @Te0
Sorry to hear that you have run in such problems. Can you, please, connect the RAK7205 to pc with usb cable. Then restart the board with reset button. Open RAK serial tool, connect to com port and send “at+version” command. Then give us print screen.

Regards
Todor Velev

Hello Mr.Velev,

I did what you said, as I did before following the manual, and after opening the Serial Port Tool and send this message I got at+version ERROR: 3. I get this error in everything.

Why isn’t a second jumper inside this node btw? Is just to my package or this is how it supposed to be shipped?

Regards,
Theodoros

Sadly, I confirmed that the cable that is connected to the board and the solar panel has been destroyed. I used my magnifier and it’s clearly destroyed from close look, but you can check it from these two pictures too: https://i.imgur.com/4ePKV6P.jpg https://i.imgur.com/a7WI6n9.jpg

I will contact the shop tomorrow (so glad it’s from my country) and I will submit either for a change with a new one either for a refund. But If I take a new one, I need to know, it is supposed this node to have 2 jumper wires? Will the new one have two inside it? I can follow some guides, that’s for sure, but I am not electrician or hobbist to have extra equipment.

Regards,
Theodoros

Hi @Te0,

Just curious you mentioned that the shop if from your country. Which country and shop would that be?
I believe there should have been jumpers included.

Regards
Vladislav

Hello Mr.Yordanov,

I am from Greece and the shop is hellasdigital.gr . My professor from university that guides me with my dissertation recommended it to me, and also they have great reviews online by Greek customers.
So, since you also verify that there should be more jumpers, at least now I am sure it’s not my fault on something I do wrong. Because as a newbie, this is what you think at first.
I will contact the shop tomorrow and submit for a change of the product since the cable of the solar panel is also damaged. I am suspicious now if this was a used product btw. Hopefully it will be all good the next time.

Thank you for the replies.

Regards,
Theodoros