RAK7249 login problem

When I browse to the unit I get this message:

/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:433: Failed to execute function dispatcher target for entry '/'.
The called action terminated with an exception:
/usr/lib/lua/luci/util.lua:587: Unable to establish ubus connection
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'assert'
	/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:433: in function 'dispatch'
	/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:168: in function </usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:167>

Any pointers to what to do? SSH will not let me enter using ‘root’ as user/password.

Ping works and the AP is visible and gives me an IP address but same deal when browsing though that way.

OpenWRT, the OS used by the RAK7249, uses Lua to run the web interface known as Luci. If that’s borked, along with not being able to ssh, you may benefit from updating the firmware for the gateway.

Does that mean I need to open the unit up? It’s already deployed on my antenna pole…

Was it working before you put it on the pole?

Yep, configured everything before setting it up there.

On the same power lead setup or has that changed - not enough juice may cause brownouts.

Same cable yes.

Den tis 22 sep. 2020 11:22Nick McCloud via RAKwireless Forum <[email protected]> skrev:

Do I need to have the POE injector? I power it through the network switch.

If you are powering it via POE you will definitely need a POE injector at the gateway for it to receive power.

Well it does receive power. But I cannot find any specs about what current it’s expecting.

Den tis 22 sep. 2020 14:37Nick McCloud via RAKwireless Forum <[email protected]> skrev:

But it may be ‘parasitic’ power rather than the full current it needs. Either way, I doubt it’s going to get fixed whilst up the pole, as if it needs a POE injector or the card reflashing, it will need to be to hand.

I drained the backup battery (20+h) and then powered it up using the POE injector. It’s now alive. Is the injector needed you think or was the hard reset the only thing needed?

I rather not have to reinstall it. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure I really understand this - if you are powering the gateway via Power Over Ethernet, then a POE Injector is needed if your network switch/router doesn’t provide POE to get power up to the gateway.

You don’t say what happens when you try to login.

I have a POE network, meaning it get 48V negotiated with the switch. But it seems like the RAK7249 isn’t fully compliment with the POE spec if I need to use the injector.

Let me draw a simple schematic to show the difference:

###Not working (it seems)###
Internet - Router (AC in, POE out) - Switch (POE in, POE out) - RAK7249 (POE in)

###Currently working###
Internet - Router - Switch - POE injector (POE out) - RAK7249 (POE in)

To address the last question; I couldn’t browse the login page. Read my first post. Only that text was displayed.

Now it’s working and I have only turned the unit off by draining the backup battery.

But my final question is: did the “restarted unit” fix the problem or the “POE injector vs POE switch”? Not sure if it’s a question to you in particular or if it’s RAK engineers who’s to blame for it :slight_smile:

Excuse me??? You drained the battery, effectively doing a hard reset by your own account then posted the login page. How unreasonable was I to expect you to try a login after a reboot?

I’d not really expect a sequence of POE in & out to work - at each step they take the 48V down to working voltages and then potentially have to take it up to 48V again. Even if it’s passed straight through, I’d still not expect such a daisy chain to work.

With such a power setup, I’d go for “all bets are off”, I’d go for my brownout idea and perhaps the culprit lives at the underneath that pole :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what button I pressed but I guess we’re all friends now. :woozy_face:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.