RAK7258 built-in ChirpStack and myDevices Cayenne

Hi,

For the latest firmware LoRaGateway_1.1.0063_Release_r205.bin
Which versions of the ChirpStack(Loraserver) are built-in RAK7258 ?

I want to use myDevices Cayenne integration.

There is Cayenne Integration since ChirpStack Application Server V3.9.0

https://www.chirpstack.io/application-server/changelog/#mydevices-cayenne

Here Cayenne console to add new device from ChirpStack as a Generic Cayenne LPP device.

Cayenne LPP

I have been using TTN Community and myDevices Cayenne successfuly.

Hi @leanofis The Network Server in RAK Commercial Gateways (RAK7258/7249/7240) is no related to ChirpStack. RAK gateways have built-in Cayenne LPP decoder, but no integration with Cayenne system. If you want to use the Cayenne My Device system you should use TTN and its integration to Cayenne My Device.

Hi @velev thank you for the information.

As the existing Network Server in RAK Commercial Gateways,
To implement Cayenne integration manually using Gateway web UI, Is it possible within the available configuration options like using built-in MQTT bridge ?

Note; I have designed my own sensor nodes with Cayenne LPP compatible already. So no need decoder.

If not possible simply as any user can do, then my deploy option would be like;
ChipStack and AWS

https://doc.rakwireless.com/quick-start/rak7258-micro-gateway/aws-ec2-chirpstack-rak7258-gateway

maybe to install TTN V3 Stack instead of ChirpStack

I’d not anticipate that it would fit on the actual gateway.

Can you not subscribe to a MQTT topic in Cayenne - it’s your device that’s sending in CayenneLPP format - you just need to get it from the device via the gateway/network server to Cayenne …

Hi @nmcc

In my Cayenne App, firstly,
Do you mean that I should add my new device as a custom MQTT client, not a LORA device ?

Actually, How Cayenne integration implemented offically in ChirpStack Application Server ?
Isn’t it a MQTT setup ?
Is there a way to achieve same for a created application in built-in LoraServer (RAK7258) ?

Please excuse me trying to find a way within global integration or MQTT bridge settings up.

That should be able to configure on gateway without a back-end.

That looks about right - but I don’t use Cayenne so you will have to explore those options.

It would appear so, see the RAK docs for more information

Yes you are right, I have to study more on these available features;

Cayenne; Lora API, Bring your own thing MQTT.
Buil-in Loraserver; MQTT bridge

And find How to forward devices from gateway to Cayenne App.
To enter correct MQTT broker, port, topic, message, id …somewhere in gateway.
That’s the issue; device based or application based.

Thank you.

Actually it is chirpstack, but apparently a version old enough to be going by the former name “LoRaServer” which Semtech objected to and asked them to change. As a result the current name of that software suite is “Chirpstack”

Running strings on /usr/sbin/lorasrv of the current 7258 image LoRaGateway_1.1.0063_Release_r205.bin yields “loraserver v1.0”

Hi @cstratton

Any guide available to upgrade the built-in ChirpStack(formerly LoRaServer) to the latest version ? Is it possible by me as a non-programmer ?
Or RakWireless will do upgrade in future ?

Not that I’m aware of. Porting software to OpenWrt tends to be an involved project, and definitely not a beginner one if the build process for the existing version isn’t being shared.

Keep in mind however that running a network server on-board a gateway is severely limiting - it really only makes sense in a single-gateway network, and because your node secrets sit in the server, if something happens to the gateway box or its filesystem and the node session secrets are located there (because the server which holds them is running on the gateway’s computer), you can no longer talk to your nodes simply by deploying a replacement gateway. So ultimately beyond the “demo” or “trial” stage it makes more sense to run the network server in the cloud or co-located with whatever you have consuming your data.

Ok, you are right.

Currently I am using TTN community edition available in cloud that has Cayenne integration. Fortunately, Communitiy limitations are not applied yet.

When I decide on something,
As you suggested, instead of deployment with gateways, I’d better to install my own ChirpStack somewhere in cloud.

Thank you