RAK7258 loses packages

After receiving my new RAK7258 gateway a few days ago it allmost worked out of the box with TTN and replaces my IC880a/RPi gateway, so far so good. I use it with a Dragino LSN50 node which is placed about 25 meter from the gateway so distance could not be a problem. Besides there is no interference with whatever other equipment.

The LSN50 sends a payload every two hours and although my old gateway never lost a payload from the node, the RAM7258 does – at random – as shown in the attachment. The LSN50 worked for many weeks without any issues so in my opinion it has something to do with the RAK7258. Can someone advice me how to solve this?

Hi @HansRak,

Could we get more information.
Bands, device class, configuration of the RAK,
What network server you are using, etc.

Regards
Vladislav

Thanks for replying Vladislav. Not sure what specific info you need, maybe this is helpfull:

-FW 1.1.0042_Release r172
-Frequency EU 868MHz
-Connected to The Things Network
-Connected via my local WiFi network (Client Mode / Auto Channel / WPA2-PSK)
-Wireless, ping and server config as shown in the attachments

Most other settings, as far as I remember, I did not change because all was perfect pre-configured for TTN out of the box.

Although the gateway is placed less than 5 meter from my WiFi AP the info shown by the RAK web interface (attachment) looks strange. Not sure if this has anything to do with the issue.

Please feel free to ask me for more info, hope you will guide me where to get it :wink:

Maybe the info below is what you need.

Hi @HansRak,

You said you are using TTN, however I see the Built-in server being enabled on the screenshot. Did you got through the configuration manual?
You cant have both the Built-in loraserver and TTN work at the same time.
Manual:

Regards
Vladislav

Thanks again for your help! I have reset the gateway to the factory defaults, configured it again according to the user manual and - following your advice - I now have disabled the server. To exclude problems with the connection WiFi was disabled and now connected with a LAN cable. It works for the last 10 hours, all 5 measurements were recieved. I’ll watch the next 24 hours and keep you informed via the forum.

Hi @HansRak,

Great, keep me posted, hopefully it will be stable. Feedback is always good.

Regards
Vladislav

Hi Vladislav,

Sorry to report the problem persists. As shown in the Grafana diagram measurements from 05:35, 09:35, 11:35 and 15:35 worked fine but 07:35 and 13:35 were lost. In the graphic you can see the relevant info from the last (15:35) measurement. As noted the distance from the gateway to the node is only about 15 meters.

Another node, a TTGO LoRa board, is used in my letterbox with a tilt sensor. This node is only activated once or twice a day and also has lost some sendings. It is located near the front door of my house, the gateway is placed indoor so the distance is less than 10 meter.

Hope there is a solution and I made the right choice buying the RAK7258, feel free to ask for extra info when needed.

Regards, Hans.

@HansRak
I am a bit confused about all this setup. Where is the Grafana point? Are you using LoRaServer? Do you have acknowledgment ?

Regards
Todor

Hi Todor,

Don’t be confused, the Grafana graph is only used to illustrate when the measurements are not recieved over time. It looks at random but they should come in every 2 hours. This worked for over several weeks in the same setup using my old IC880A/RPi setup and so it should work with the RAK7258. When I switch off the RAK7258 and switch the old gateway on everything works normal: one measurement is processed every 2 hours whithout drop-outs.

And no I do not use LoRaServer, as mentioned above it is disabled in the gateway.

The dropped-out measurements are not received at the TTN servers, the console then shows no gateway traffic and no payload in the application data. So it has nothing to do with Grafana.

I also am a bit concerned about the RSSI values shown in the frames in the graphic, it is -100 to -104 but the distance from the node is less than 15 meter. Is this usual for the RAK7258?

Hope to hear from you.

Regards, Hans.

Hi @HansRak,

So can you see the packets in the packet logger, perhaps you could share the logs.
This is very strange we have had better RSSI, 5 km away, so the is definitely something wrong.
We just got to find it:)

Regards
Vladislav

Hi Vladislav,

Here is the log as an image, if you need it as a text file please send me a PM with an email address because I do not know if I can add a text file to this posting.

I’ve checked the antenna connector and wiring on the gateway, it looks okay.

Regards, Hans.

Below the packet logger, triggered by my LoRa TTGO-board (tilt switch letterbox) which is only a few meters from the gateway and without interference from other equipment. As shown the RSSI is -111.

The gateway power adapter delivers 12.3 volt DC so that is okay.

And below the packet logger triggered by my second node a Dragino LSN50 (once every two hours), RSSI is -105.

Hi @HansRak
Can you check that antenna of the gateway is properly attached? Outside and inside the case!

Regards
Todor

Hi Todor,

I did earlier today, nothing wrong.

Regards, Hans.

Hi Todor and Vladislav,

After four days of struggling with a brand new product I am afraid that there is a serious problem with this gateway. Given your answers it seems that it is not a software but a hardware issue. Do you share this opinion? In that case my gateway appears to be defective and I will contact RAK to experience if their customer service is willing to solve this without the help of PayPal Buyer Protection. I bought the gateway in the official RAK Online Store.

Best regards, Hans.

Hi,

Really hope to read your opinion soon.

Regards, Hans.

Hi @HansRak,

Maybe you got a faulty unit. Ask for replacement perhaps.

Regards
Vladislav

Hans, Pls contact with [email protected] for following up of replacement