RAK7268C losing cellular connection after reboot

Hi, We are using RAK7268C gateways with Cellular network connectivity for our LoRaWAN network, but are experiencing problems with the cellular connectivity sometimes not reconnecting after reboot.

We perform a daily reboot of the gateway using the command sleep 70 && touch /etc/banner && reboot (taken from the OpenWRT guide) scheduled with cron-tab but sometimes after the reboot the gateway doesn’t reconnect to the Cellular network (even though it had a perfect connection before the reboot).

We are using the latest WisGateOS firmware (WisGateOS 1.3.5_RAK 20221008 b135), and the APN is set up correctly according to the SIM-card provider.

Why could this be happening? Are we rebooting incorrectly?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

We are noticing the same thing with our Gateways. It seems to be worse if they are offline for longer periods of time (i.e. weeks or months). It takes a lot of restarting/unplugging/reassembling to get them back online, and nothing seems to do it reliably.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Glad to hear we are not the only one having these issues. I’ve been in contact with tech support at RAKWireless and it seems that they’ve found issues with the network in their current firmware (1.3.5), so hopefully the new firmware release will resolve the issues.

They told me the new firmware could potentially be released sometime next week. Let’s hope!

1 Like

I’m not sure about you @LasseRegin , but v1.3.6 hasn’t solved my problems.

I agree. We seem to experience the issue slightly less after 1.3.6 however it still occurs. RAKWireless told me they would perform some tests, however they haven’t gotten back to me after almost 2 months now.

That’s too bad. Yeah, I’ve been going back and forth with their support team since I first replied in December.

We now run a script on each Gateway every hour that will reboot if there is no connection, but even that doesn’t work every time.

Yeah we do the same just every 24 hour and we reboot no matter if there’s a connection or not.

We also have a script running every 15 minutes checking for internet connection. If no connection we run

/etc/init.d/network restart

In rare events we try to restart additional services by running:

/etc/init.d/quectel-CM restart
sleep 1
/usr/sbin/mwan3 restart
sleep 1
/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart
sleep 1
/etc/init.d/network restart

I will let you know if we hear anything new from them.

My RAK7268C gateways using cellular network connectivity for our LoRaWAN setup. Following the OpenWRT guide, I schedule a daily reboot using the command sleep 70 && touch /etc/banner && reboot through cron-tab. However, I’ve noticed that sometimes after the reboot, the gateway fails to reconnect to the cellular network, even though the connection was perfect before the reboot.
visit us

This is exactly the issue I was having. I’ve removed the scheduled reboot. Also the latest firmware upgrades seems to have been stabilizing the gateways.