RAK7289V2/7240V2 geolocation through fine timestamping

Hi,
I’ve got a few questions about these two gateways and their geolocation capabilities with TDoA and RSSI through triangulation.

1. What level of node location accuracy can I expect with either of these gateways?

2. Does the orientation of the 3 gateways need to be in an equilateral (perfect triangle) orientation? Will it work the same if the 3 gateways are in an obtuse orientation? I can’t see that this would have any huge affect on the accuracy so long as two antennas aren’t too close to each other.

3. What sort of node location accuracy can I expect if a node falls outside of the gateway triangle but still within reach of all 3 gateways?

4. Is the LBT feature available with these gateways on chirpstack?

5. Is the LBT feature available for TDoA tracking?

Maybe I should ask a more basic question like has geolocation using TDoA been tested with RAK7289V2 and RAK7240V2? Does it actually work?

Hi @SmartHerder Yes, TDoA is possible with those gateways. Note that as the fine timestamp is provided in the packets(from the GPS), you need an external geo solver to be used to have the geolocation. ChirpStack has this support - Geolocation - ChirpStack open-source LoRaWAN® Network Server documentation

1. With 3 gateways you should not expect accuracy better than 50-60 meters.
    With 5, based on our testing, you can achieve up to 10 meters accuracy.
  2. Orientation is not a factor.
  3. As is it TDoA and based on already known gateway coordinates, it basically has the same accuracy.
  4. LBT is a feature on the gateway level, not on LNS.
  5. LBT is not related to the TDoA in any way.

Understood. Thanks Velev

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.