RAK811 Arduino Interface help

Issue: My Wisnode V1.2 is not responding to any AT commands via arduino interface. There is no problem communicating via RAK Serial Tool.

Setup:
I have followed the github guide for interfacing (GitHub - RAKWireless/WisNode-Arduino-Library: This repo is used for Arduino board + WisNode-LoRa RAK811 board.). However, I am using an Arduino Micro instead of an Arduino Uno. I tried using the JoinNetworkOTAA example as well as just using a plain sketch to send/receive AT commands via serial monitor. The extra 2 jumper wires are for the DebugSerial as specified in the sample sketch (Pins 10/11)

I’ve also configured the UART1 to be at 9600 baud via RAK Serial port.

Key steps I took:

1. Upgraded the firmware using the one provided in the github repo (3.0.0.13t1)
  2. Removed resistors R8 R11 R12 R13
  3. Moved the Jumpers to RXD TXD

Details:

!

Here’s the jumper configuration for more context

Welcome to RAK forum @vince .

Can you share the serial logs?

Also, can you try some tests to isolate which cause? Have you tried to connect your RAK811 WisDuino board to the network server just by doing AT commands first? Can you have check the SW serial pins of the Arduino if there’s really an output by using USB-UART converter? Are the uart pins on 2 boards TX<->RX and RX<->TX? Do you have multimeter to check if the pins of 2 boards are really connected? Sometimes, there are breadboard and jumper wires that are reliable.

• Yes there were no problems connecting to the connecting to the gateway via OTAA (using RAK Serial Tool).
  • I have no USB-UART converter on hand right now but i’ll be ordering one soon.
  • I did swap around the TX-RX jumpers to check if I can resolve the issue but still no response
  • I also checked the pins and they were fine.

I think I should get a usb uart converter just to confirm if my pins really output serial commands.

If the RAK811 is working fine and the resistors are removed with proper jumper settings, it is mostly like related to the jumper wires or the Arduino. It is good if you can get a USB-UART converter to check. If you have access to oscilloscope or logic analyzer, you can use that too to check.

Btw, I think you can use the USB-UART chip of RAK811 WisDuino.

Anyway, let’s avoid other complications now. Just get a USB-UART converter and check :+1: